Chapter 1 - Jacey

Start from the beginning

"I tossed some clothes in your room already. Just go find something and..." Her eyes shot straight down to my muck covered boots I had for the past five years. "Wear your knee-highs. You new ones until you can get some descent shoes."

"Tell me why you don't want to take this class."

"Just because... you know me and science things don't get along. It is two hours, three days a week. I am sure you can manage not seeing a horse for that long." Instead of a vehicle for her twenty-first, the day before mine, she wanted a place in the city for the last two years of college and the parents had agreed on paying mortgage. I hated to admit, but the house was perfect for her and she liked living in the city more than on the farm. "You haven't worn those boots I gave you for your birthday out in the barn, have you?"

Oh, how I wanted to, but I didn't. They were too pretty. Black leather and suede with buckles. I managed to save them for something special seeing as how much they cost Jacki. And I wanted a nice pair of boots just in case I was given the chance to go out somewhere special. "No. Now, what if someone finds out? You know we are risking failing these classes and getting kicked out of school."

"No one will find out. I promise." She kissed my cheek and urged me to go. I had to get ready if I was going to be in class on time. I couldn't miss the second week and with some of the professors, you didn't want to be late at all.

Going into the large ranch style home, I went up to my room thankful Mom was out running errands while Dad was out working with a few new horses. As long as I didn't have to run into them, we would be fine. And my mirror better be thankful I was willing to risk this for her. She had it made with this switch. She had her own place. Me, on the other hand, was still under my parents' roof and they could tell us apart. Well, most of the time.

Closing my bedroom door, I looked at the skinny jeans and the shirts on the bed. At least they were something that I would wear. But skinny jeans? I hated tight clothing, but she looked nice in them, so I should too. We were curvy, but in a nicer curvy way. With my working on the farm all the time, I had a lot more muscle than she did, but she ran all the time, too. This could work out. Besides, it was just geology. How hard could it be?

I had taken the extra time to put my hair in a nice clip and decided on the blue shirt that hung looser around my neck and bunched at my waist. The jeans were darker and I slipped into them easily. Dressing up wasn't that bad, but makeup. I was bad at makeup. She did show me a few times how to do it, but I never practiced and I never really paid attention. I never had the need to wear makeup.

Sucking in a deep breath, the tingles ran through my body and the butterflies woke up in my belly. I grabbed the book she left off the desk and headed out the door. In college, our last year, and we were switching places. This was going to be bad, really bad, if anyone found out.

The drive in was exhausting. How was I going to make two hours of lecture without falling asleep? With a few extra minutes, I stopped at the gas station and grabbed a bottle of soda. That should help, but my stomach was growling already. I was working out with the new horse and I hadn't grabbed lunch when Mom called. Grabbing a candy bar also, I paid and went out to my truck. Ripping it open, I shoved as much in my mouth I could. I worked for a living and lately, it seemed as if I was always busy and constantly missing lunch.

Getting over to the backside of the college, I parked in an open spot in the lot nearest to the brick building that held the science department. Taking my soda and my book, I shoved the rest of the candy bar into my mouth feeling the soft vibration in my pocket. Checking the message, my heart slammed hard. I hadn't even thought about assigned seating as some professors were notorious for.