7. Questions Without Answers

2/06/2017

     September first came far too quickly in Harry's mind. He barely had a chance to get to know his parents, but now he had to go back to school. He didn't know how he would be able to stand sitting in the common room doing potions homework while knowing that his parents were alive but he couldn't talk to them.

     James and Lily were having similar thoughts. So you can imagine the horror all three Potters felt when they were informed that They would not be able to send letters to each other.

     "But why on earth not?" Lily exclaimed.

     "Dumbledore says that a Ministry official will be at Hogwarts this year," Mad-Eye said. "We can't risk the Ministry getting wind that you two are alive. If they find out, Voldemort finds out, and he could use that against us." He grumbled. "If you could find a way to write without giving away anything, then perhaps. But they'll have to pass my inspection first! Hermione, I expect you to keep an eye on Harry while he's at school."

     "Yes, sir," Hermione replied, a bit proud that Mad-Eye was confident in her.

     "Now that that's settled," James said, "You two better get packing." 

     When, at last, all the children had their things packed, and with Mrs Weasley's and James' urging that they were going to be late, "If you forget anything we'll send it by owl!" James exclaimed when The twins went back for something they forgot for the third time.

     One of the twins murmured back, "This isn't the type of stuff that'd get by an inspection from Filch."

     James sighed, "Make it quick." He mumbled so Mrs Weasley wouldn't hear.

     Mrs Weasley marched around trying to get everybody in one place. "Ron, don't forget your robes, there you are - Ginny, dear, do you have your books? Very good - where on earth is Harry - get back here, Ron - Where did Fred and George go off to?"

     "We're right here, mum," George said from the foot of the stairs, Fred at his side and their hands suspiciously empty.

     It took a while, but finally, everyone was ready to go. James and Lily were told to stay home, and surprisingly it was Sirius who convinced James to stay put. "James, don't worry so much. I'm going as Padfoot to see him off, and I know you want to go, but I think we're far more likely to get away with a black dog in the middle of Kings Cross than  we are to get away with a stag, for goodness' sake."

     After that, James finally dropped to the couch and mumbled something along the lines of "stupid animagus form", although he used much more graphic language that would have made Mrs Weasley faint if she had been in the vicinity at the time.

--(Because I am lazy here's a very sloppy transition and skipping past Kings Cross station)--

     Harry had spent most of the train ride lost in thought. He barely noticed the stares and whispers that followed him, no doubt a result of the Daily Prophet. He had run into Neville and Ginny while he was looking for a compartment, and they all ended up sitting with an odd girl who was reading a magazine upside down for some reason. He didn't pay the girls oddities any notice, however, in fact, he barely noticed she was there at all.

     His mind was swirling with the events of the past few days and months. The Order, the trial, the dreams, his scar, the Prophet, Voldemort's return, his parents' return... so much had happened in such a short time that he could barely keep up with it all. But all that confusion was set aside and replaced with a giddy happiness at the thought that his parents were alive, somehow, and waiting for a letter from him back at Grimmauld Place.