Chapter 4: A Rose Between Two Thorns

Start from the beginning

"Because," I say blankly.

He chuckles at my stubbornness. "Because why?"

Why is he so amused by this? "Because I said so."

"Jessa," he says sternly.

"William," I retort.

"Is there a problem back here?" Mr. Simmons says when he appears in front of our desk. Once again the whole class is staring back at us like we're some sort of soap opera.

"No problem, sir." Will offers his best smile and turns to face the board again.

Since when does he say "sir"?

"Pay attention," Mr. Simmons says before giving us a look and walking back to the front of the classroom.

"Military school really did its work, huh?" I ask Will.

"Maybe," he says. I get the feeling he doesn't really want to talk about it.

I try to focus on the things Mr. Simmons is trying to tell us but a minute later Will is looking at me. I see him out of the corner of my eye and turn to him with a flat look. I wait for that grin to appear, which it does.

"Hey," he says. "Can I show you something?"

"Now? We're in class, Will."

"No, I mean later."

He sounds so genuine that I almost say yes.

"I can't," I tell him and look away.

"Why?" He asks, hiding his hurt terribly.

"Besides the fact that I have a boyfriend who really wouldn't be happy about that, I have cheerleading tryouts." A part of me doesn't want to be so harsh... Who am I kidding? Why shouldn't I be mean? I can't imagine what Connor would do if he would have been here. Connor is known for his temper.

"Okay, some other time then?" He asks. The hurt has left his voice and the unusual light tone is back.

"What did I just sa-"

"Jessa and Will," Mr. Simmons cuts in. "Detention – right after school."

My mouth falls open and I look at Will.

I take that back.

Maybe I will murder him.

*

My day only seems to get worse when I walk out of that classroom. I find Connor standing by my locker with a guilty look on his face. There are so many people I'm not in the mood to talk to yet God keeps throwing them at me like fast pitch softballs.

I appreciate the effort, God, but can you slow them down a little, please?

Ignoring Connor's presence, I unlock my locker and tug it open. It's a little harder to open than the others since its previous owner shoved gum in the latch part. Classy, I know. I'm impressed too.

I drop my place the new chemistry book I was given at the end of class into my locker. On the other side of my door I hear Connor sigh dramatically.

"Are you going to talk to me?" He asks, annoyed. I slam my locker shut to show the whole hallway full of people how my day is going.

"I don't know, Connor, are you going to start caring about someone other than yourself?" I snap at him. A few people glance our way and I'm tempted to ask them if they'd like to take a video. It's the first day of school and I've never been looked at so much.

I turn my flustered gaze back to Connor. His face is red with anger but I don't care. Fear washes over me for a millisecond at the thought of what he could do to me if he ever got angry enough. I walk away from him and head down the hall to my next class which is – thankfully – study hall.