Chapter 28 - The Family We Choose

Prince's POV 

[Pulling up to the school drop off] "I love you boys! Make it a great day! Now don't forget Thomas will be picking you up from school today. Ms. Rita will be with you after you're back at Paisley. Do your homework and be good to her."

Tossling their hair as each scooted out the back seat, I watched them jumped out of the car. As I drove away, my mind immediately sped to the amniocentesis later today. I knew Isabella would be a wreck so I encouraged her to sleep, by not allowing the alarm to sound. This way, she could waste part of the morning not thinking about it.

Up the steps to the living quarters at Paisley, I could hear the sound of Isa diffusing her hair.

Meals were flitting through my brain as Rita has been passing simple recipes for me to try out. I'm determined to progress in my domestic god role. This morning I followed a frittata recipe that Rita walked me through, v-e-r-y carefully. After tossing it in the oven, I decided to go check on Isabella.

Upon entering our bedroom, I didn't see her, or in the bath. As I stroll past the closet, there she was sitting sideways on the floor and looking at a book leaning on an upholstered chair.

"Baby?" Hesitant, what she was up to, I wondered.

She sniffed, closed her book and set it on a side table's bottom shelf. I helped her off the floor and then grabbed the book and read it out loud. "The Book of Common Prayer."

"It was my mother's. I just thought I'd pray a little extra this morning and maybe I'd feel her comfort somehow...maybe that she's with us today."

I pulled her to me and hugged her tightly. At 15 1/2 weeks with twins, Isabella's belly was beyond apparent and I love feeling it against me.

"My sweet Isabella, you know we can always pray together. I don't like seeing you alone in the closet sniffing."

Tipping her chin upward so that I could see her eyes, "How is it, happy, teary, worried, giggly...you manage to always be so magnificently beautiful?"

I knew it was my job to help keep her centered and focused today. I heard the timer for the frittata and ushered her with me so she didn't stay alone.

"What smells so good?"

"Are you hungry? I made a frittata."

She laughed.

"You...you made a frittata? You?"

Since a smile was plastered all over her face, I happily took her ribbing in exchange for her smiles.

"Yes my girl I made a frittata. It's really pretty simple. [pulling the skillet out of the oven] I think even Martha Stewart would be proud."

Taking a bite from the skillet, Isa blew on it and took a mouthful.

"Mmmm...I'm marrying a man that can cook too!!"

I smacked her with the hot pad, pulled her to me and started to dance suggestively and sing the Enjoli commercial from the 70s.

"I can bring home the bacon! Enjoli. Fry it up in a pan! Enjoli. And never, never, never let you forget you're a woman! 'Cause I'm your man! Enjoli!"

With an absolute straight face Isa teased.

"I'm not certain you have what it takes to be an international rockstar. You may want to keep your kitchen and bedroom talents sharp."

Unexpectedly, I snorted and replied, "Now that was just wrong."

With my fingers, I pulled her to me and asked, "Are you happily satisfied with my bedroom skills? [kissing her neck and grazing her breasts through her sweater]