Natalie's head shot up when she heard his voice. She turned around slowly. "Leave us," she told the groom, her eyes never leaving Ben's face.

"Yes, ma'am." Natalie was too occupied with remembering how to breath to notice the note of suspicion in the young groom's voice.

As soon as the boy was out of sight, Natalie threw her arms around Ben's neck. Ben was surprised, but got over it quickly and held her close for a moment. Then he pulled himself away, holding her at arms length.

"You're not hurt, are you?" Ben asked her. "'Cause I'll kill him if he hurt you. Well, I'll kill him anyway, but I'll go find him now if he hurt you."

"No, I'm not hurt. Oh, Ben, I was so scared that no one would come. I was terrified that you would just leave me here." Her eyes began to fill with tears.

Ben pulled her to him again. "Of course we wouldn't have left you. I will always come for you. I told you already. I love you."

"I'm so sorry, Ben."

"Call me Brigham. It's safer," he told her.

"I'm sorry for what I said in the dungeons," Natalie continued. "I don't know how I could ever think that you could do such a thing. I'm ashamed of what I said and can only beg you to forgive me."

"Of course I forgive you, Natalie. How could I not?" Neither of them said anything for a moment. "You know, in a way, I'm rather grateful to these people for attacking. If they hadn't, I would probably not be alive now."

Natalie nodded. "And I might have lived my entire life not knowing of your innocence. Or worse, I could have had you killed and I would have found out later that you were innocent. Then I would have had to live with myself knowing that I had caused the death of an innocent man. The death of a friend." She shuddered and they stood in silence for a few moments. "So what now?" Natalie asked.

"I'm not sure. Kotaku sent me to keep you safe. He wanted to be sure you would be out of harm's way when our army attacks," Ben told her. "So I guess we just wait and watch until they come. For now I'll try to remain as close to you as I can without being recognized by that man. Do you know his name?"

Her face darkened. "He is Captain Darion. He is a cruel, heartless man. Do you remember Adam, one of our spies?"

Ben nodded. "He helped me find where to go last night."

Natalie continued, "He was discovered last night. I was made to watch as he was beaten mercilessly, begging for death. After an entire night of being whipped, during which they tried to pry information from him, death was finally granted him. It was far from painless." Natalie shuddered. "His face will forever haunt me."

"I'm so sorry," Ben said to her, holding her close once more. "No one should have to watch that."

Anger boiled inside of him. One more murder to avenge, Brian thought. There are most likely countless others who will be avenged by his death.

Natalie buried her face in Ben's chest, tears flowing down her cheeks.

"It was a threat, Ben," she said, pulling away to look him in the face. "A warning. Darion was showing me what will happen to me if I cause him trouble." Her voice shook violently.

"I'd like to see him try. I will personally rip him limb from limb if he attempts to lay a hand on you." The malice in Ben's voice frightened even Natalie.

There was a gasp from around the corner. It was quickly stifled, but it was too late. The damage had already been done. The gasp had already been heard. Ben motioned for Natalie to stay quiet as he snuck over.