Oh, god. Sophie turns around, her wide eyes landing on me. She blushes.

Pink crowds her cheeks as she looks away, at the pillow next to her and at the sheets that go along with it. I'm almost confused as to why she's avoiding my gaze, until I realize that I have no shirt on.

"S-Sorry," I mumble, quickly slipping the thin material on. It takes a short while because I'm lanky and my limbs don't seem to cooperate, but she doesn't need to know that. "You can look now, baby."

Sophie does so and I swear her face is as red as ever. It's a mystery as to why, for she's seen me shirtless many times before. She's never reacted like this, however, and the thought intrigues me.

I don't know why she's suddenly acting all strange about it now, but a lot of strange things have been happening lately so I decide not to press on.

I carefully walk over to her, sitting gingerly on the edge of the bed. The mattress sinks ever so slightly and I suddenly feel awful for leaving her alone last night without so much as a warning.

The view outside truly is amazing. The usually quiet streets of Brisbane are now filled with 24/7 traffic, and people look like ants from the penthouse suite given to us by management.

Sophie shifts, scoots closer to me. She holds her little arms out and I wrap my own around her frame. It doesn't take long for the silence to settle but once it does, she parts her lips to speak.

"Daddy?" she looks at me, doe eyes filled with a type of curiosity that makes my heart melt.

"Yes, little girl?"

"Where were you last night?"

My eyes widen, not expecting her to come out with it in such a straightforward manner- mainly because I held onto the hope that she didn't know.

Fuck, I wince. So, she was awake.

"Nowhere, baby. Just out." I lie.

"With who?"

"With a friend." unlike the other, this one isn't lie. Charlotte will probably become a friend after this- just, not the sort of friend you can hang out with without getting naked.

"Who is she?"

"She's-" I pause. It takes a while for Sophie's words to register in my head. "Wait,"

"What?"

"How do you know it's a she?"

"Hm?" she looks away, as if realizing her own mistake.

"I never said anything about them being a girl," I furrow my eyebrows.

Sophie bites her lip, and as she does so, another thought crosses my mind and I want to wash the entirety of my head out with bleach.

"Y-You didn't?"

"No, little one. I didn't."

"Lucky guess," she giggles her nervous little giggle and somehow, for some reason, my heart flutters. I feel like holding it down with a few loose chains, just to give myself a break. "Where did you go?"

"Who?"

"You and your friend."

"My friend?" I forget things at the worst times.

"Your girl friend." she reminds me. I can't help but notice how she winces when she says it. Maybe I'm just paranoid, or maybe I'm not and she really is bothered by it.

"Oh," I rub my thumb on the softness of her skin. My fingers are probably freezing but Sophie doesn't seem to mind, so I keep at it. "Just to a party."