Never Loved (someone like you) Before Part 3

All-rights reserved to Everdeenwayland

Chapter 3: Soulmates

She laughed, incontrolably, after hearing him. He looked at her, a partly smile on his lips. He knew that what he had told her wasn't that funny, but he wasn't going to tell her that anyways. He loved to make her laugh so hard that tears came from her eyes, even if she didn't want them to. He continued to watch her, without saying a thing. She raised a eyebrow, and her lips formed a thin smile, the kind of smile that was reserved only to him. In moments like these, he felt extremely lucky, seeing her that way made his heart beat faster.

"You are doing this on purpose, aren't you?" She said smiling lightly. He shook his head with curiosity. He had no idea what she was talking about.

"Doing what?" He asked, raising his hand to caress her cheek. She shivered at his touch, but continued to look him in the eye. He could now see the spark of something that wasn't there before.

"This" She said. "Putting me on the edge and then, as always, leaving me hanging with the desire of touching you"

This time, it was him who raised the eyebrow.

"Your face is touching my hand, why are you complaining about?" He said, his voice filled with mockery. Jyn frowned.

"You know that is not what I mean" She said, crossing her arms.

"Then what do you want?" He teased, trying to see where that was going to. 

"This" She said and she leaned forward to kiss him.

Cassian suddenly woke up, still feeling the taste of Jyn lips on his. He raised his hand to touch his lips. They were dry. It had all been a dream. One of those damn dreams that the 'force' kept showing lately. Little glimpses of how his life with Jyn could be. Cassian shook his head, he knew it could not be that way. He had never let his feelings stop him from successfully completing a mission. And this was not going to be the first time.

He got up from the bed, lazily, and looked around. The silence in his little apartment was nothing more than a reminder of his own loneliness. It was no secret that he, hopeless romantic, had never been able to keep anyone by his side for long. Not that he had tried. Since he was young, he had been determined to find the person to whom the mark on his right forearm belonged. At a certain point, he had stopped looking for her, yet every person he knew was never enough, they were nothing more than mere reminders of what could be and was not. His situation was ironic. Of all the people who could have been, it had to be her, Jyn Erso. The only person he could never have.

He sighed heavily. It was time to get on with the assigned mission, the sooner he finished it, the sooner he could settle things with Jyn. Quickly, he changed his clothes and washed his face, not before getting something to eat on the way.

~~~

Jyn was sitting in the corner of her room when she saw the door to her cell open. She knew the time had come. She breathed softly, trying to look up the courage she didn't have. Despite having years preparing for the moment, she was terrified. She was almost glad that the wives had not been taken away when they carried her back to her cell, helping her control her hands that seemed to have a life of their own. She felt like someone was entering her cell and trying to lift her. Everything felt like it wasn't her, as if she was seeing everything through a glass. The person who had tried to lift her, encouraged her to walk, talking softly. Jyn raised her head, unconsciously, trying to see whose voice came from. She was not used to being spoken to like that. Her eyes met his, Cassian's.

It made sense, she thought to herself. The one who had managed to capture her would be the one to execute her. She did 't know how things worked out in the Alliance, but she knew they were arrogant. Cassian pulled her out of the cell, while she felt as if she were dreaming, the lights shining too hard on them. She felt as another person grabbed the arm she had free. They practically dragged her across the base. Jyn wondered why he was moving her so far, in the Empire she would already be dead.

After a while, the two men who held her, stood in front of a door. Jyn swallowed and closed her eyes, not wanting to know her fate. She heard a door open and her head began to spin. They dragged a couple of steps, and was there when she was released. Jyn sighed, letting all the air she treasured in her lungs was free. She waited for the coup de grace, the shot to her heart, whatever they were going to do to her.

But she felt nothing.