08. "daddy and his friend"

Start from the beginning

He holds his arms out to me and I don't hesitate to step into them. A quick kiss is placed on my forehead.

"What's wrong?" Chase asks, in a much more awake tone than before, sounding sympathetic and curious without being nosey and patronizing.

"It's nothing," I murmur into his shirt, wanting to forget about what was going on a few moments earlier. His arms stay wrapped around me, pulling my figure closer to him. "I just wanted to see you."

Actually, I wanted to get away from my Daddy and his new groupie for the night. But I won't tell you that because you'll probably think I'm obsessed and that is the last thing I need right now.

"Do you wanna go for a walk?" he asks. I shrug.

"Maybe."

"Maybe?"

"Don't you think it's a little too cold for that?" I'm not wrong. It's freezing, even in the hallway of the five star hotel we've been booked into.

Chase laughs. "Fair point. We could go back to mine, if you want?"

"And do what?" I automatically know where this is headed.

"Netflix and Chill?" he wriggles his eyebrows suggestively.

My cheeks go red as Chase chuckles. "Chase."

"I know, I know, I was just messing," he says, snaking an arm around my shoulder. "There's an ice cream parlour not too far from here, though. Wanna go there?" I smile.

One of the many things I like about Chase is that he's up for almost anything. He's spontaneous. His ideas are great, and so is he.

There are no bounds with him.

One of the many things I dislike about Chase, however, is that fact alone. There are no bounds where there needs to be bounds and I don't quite think he gets that.

We start our short journey out of the hotel hallway and into the main lobby, me ducking my head down as soon as we pass Daddy's room.

They were so loud when I was trying to sleep. The fact that not even a pin drop can be heard now angers me. I'm surprised that none of the sound travelled into the hallway like I thought it would.

Chase was right. The parlour's not too far from the hotel and within the span of ten minutes, we're already inside- inhaling deep breaths of the empty ice cream parlour's sweet smell.

"Pick a table while I order?" Chase grins at me, stepping forward and letting our interlocked fingers unravel.

I do so, tugging on the oversized hoodie so that it drapes over my legs. Finally deciding on the window seat, I sit down, eyes flickering from Chase to the small phone I have in hand.

I never used to have a phone. Never needed one. And anyway, Daddy never let me use any type of social media because he argued that it was bad for the brain, so there was no point.

I always believed him, took every word he said like it was engraved into a scripture- until I turned the rightful age of sixteen and Sadie handed me my first.

"Use it wisely, Soph." she joked. She also told me to keep it a secret from Luke. Obviously, he found out.

I remember the day he did. He was helping me pack my stuff up for the tour, and I was stupid enough to leave the thing lying around.

In all fairness, Luke was doing most of the packing for me, but I didn't mind. Neither did he, I don't think. He said he liked feeling needed.