002. the awaited test of fire

Začať od začiatku

Life would've been so much easier if she'd known, but it was difficult trying to figure out how to bring it up to her. How are you supposed to tell your little sister that you may have accidentally killed a guy, who was trying to kidnap you, by using the most forbidden sub-bending, and you had to secretly suffer for years in the hands of the White Lotus without causing a mess?

So, in the end, I decided that it was best to leave it be. Whenever she asked what I was doing during her Avatar training, I would lie and say that the White Lotus staff were teaching me school subjects and practical life skills, or some crap like that. She always gave a skeptical look, but she didn't had time to question it, because the guards would always come and tell her that some teacher or elder was calling her for either physical or spiritual training. 

Firebending was notably the easiest for Korra, matching her fiery personality, though she sometimes tend to get too excited with the flames. The most notable story was my hair, but I think the one that almost tops it was the time she almost burned a guard to a crisp because they had gotten into an argument about Pro-Bending, a world-known Republic City sport. 

Even to this day when some guards talk her, a hand instantly flies defensively and even backs away to a safe distance if there was the slightest sense of anger enlaced in Korra's tone.  

She suddenly letted out a sigh—a sigh which was unusual from her confident attitude. "I really hope I pass. If I do, I can finally move on to airbending training with Tenzin," she glanced down at her feet, a sorrowful expression suddenly taking over. "If I don't—"

"Hey, hey," I had quickly cut her off, realizing where she was going. "Don't ever say that. You've been practicing firebending for four months now, and you've improved so much. You're gonna' do great!" 

I brought her into a hug, hoping that all that sappy sisterly love and support communicated into it. She hugged back and smiled brightly as we pulled away. "Thanks, Katrina."

"Of course, now go!" I hurriedly patted her back, signaling to go to the training area.

☆                  ☆               ☆

The White Lotus Leader, the Firebending Master that taught Korra, Master Katara, and I were carefully watching Korra from a distance as she performs her firebending exam. "She's strong," Master Katara commented as Korra punched powerful fireballs towards her opponents, which were several guards who were trained firebenders. 

"She lacks restraint." The White Lotus Leader remarked bitterly. I fought the urge to scoff and retort, but I kept my mouth pursed shut, reminding myself to control my anger and let it slide. That was one of the lessons I was taught during my years in my bloodbending training. I shuddered at the thought of the horrible teaching ways they had done back then in order to control my bending, but I instantly shook it away. It would take too much of my energy to even mention it inside my brain.  

After a while, the test was finally over. Korra cheered out as I clapped happily, feeling satisfied at her performance. However, the White Lotus Members and Master Katara hadn't shared our excitement, as they had a straight face.

"Hey? Why all the doom and gloom, people?" Korra asked in disbelief, taking off her helmet as she approached in front of the elders. "We should be celebrating! Three elements down, one to go!"

"You're getting ahead of yourself as usual, Korra," the Firebending Master replied dryly, rolling his eyes. "We haven't decided if you passed your firebending test yet."

The White Lotus Leader told her sternly, "Ever since you were a little girl, you excelled in the physical side of bending, but completely ignored the spiritual side." 

"I swear, if I had a yuan for every time he's brought this up," I jested to Master Katara with a low murmur, who flashed a small sympathetic smile before refocusing at the leader's words.

"As the Avatar, you must master both," he continued on as Korra's bottom lip jutted out.

"I haven't ignored it," she retorted with an obvious expression. "It just doesn't come easy to me—but that's why I should start my Air Bending training with Tenzin! He's literally Mr. Spiritual!"

"It's true, he is," I acknowledged with a nod, as if that sole opinion would convince the elders to let her pass her firebending training.

The White Lotus Leader sighed deeply, turning to face the elderly woman besides him. "What do you think, Master Katara? Is Korra ready?" We all turned to her, waiting for an answer.

She pursed her lips, before nodding slowly. "Yes, she is ready."

The Leader nodded his head, turning to Korra with hands behind his back and a small smile plastered upon his lips. "Very well, it's time to begin you're Airbending training."

Korra gasped before jumping happily into the air and spinned around exclaiming, "YES! FINALLY!" 

"I-I mean," she cleared her throat, noticing the elders were looking at her, some with dismay. She quickly bowed her head down respectfully, putting her fist against the palm of her other hand. "Thank you all for believing in me."

I slapped a hand over my mouth, stifling a snicker at her serious expression. She opened her eyes, sending me a small glare, though she had a faint smirk lingering on her lips. I took my hand off and mouthed, "Good job!" with a proud smile as she straightened up. 

And with that, she walked away with a goofy grin on her face, knowing that she'd be taking the final step into becoming the world's protector.