Chapter Ten

Chapter 10

There was a brisk knock at the door. With my eyes crusted shut, I blindly reached my hand for a pillow. I felt the cushioned fabric under my hand and I buried my face in it.

“Leave,” I groaned. “It’s Saturday.”

I heard the hinges on the door squeak and footsteps on the floorboards. I covered myself with the blanket in an attempt to conceal myself from whoever just decided to ruin my morning. I heard the rings of the curtain skid across the metal curtain rod; sunlight flooded the room.

I lifted my head and used my hand to shield my eyes from the brightness. “The light! It burns!” I screamed. 

My eyes quickly adjusted to the light and I noticed Tilly standing in front of the window. She approached my bed and tugged the pillow from under my head. Lifting it above her head, she brought it down, hitting me across the face.

I screamed bloody murder. “Fuck off, Tilly!”

“You’re so dramatic,” she muttered, rolling her eyes.

“Why are you here?” I asked.

“Because I missed you. You make me feel like it’s a crime to be around you.”

“Waking up this early should be a crime.”

Tilly snatched my phone off the bedside table and showed me the screen. My eyes took a few seconds to adjust to the screen’s brightness. “It’s noon.”

“So? It’s Saturday.” I let my head drop on my pillow. Tilly huffed and stomped her foot.

“Beth! You’ve been at your dad’s this whole time and you barely even called to say hi. I want to know what’s going on with you; we need to catch up.” At that point, I half expected her to confess about what had happened between her and Luke at the club last night. She didn’t. “Macy’s is having a holiday sale and you’re coming with me. I miss my best friend and we’re going to reconnect over some good old-fashioned shopping.”

I felt a pang of guilt. I’d been so caught up with my dad and Bryce in Canada that I’d neglected her. She was right. The only time I’d called her was to ask if she could feed my fish. “Fine. I’ll go,” I caved.

Tilly squealed and said she’d go make coffee before rushing out of the room. Barely a minute after she’d disappeared, my phone rang. I reached onto the table and grabbed it, answering the call.

“Hello?” I must’ve sounded really groggy to whoever was calling.

A man chuckled. “I’m glad you didn’t give me the wrong number. I would’ve had a hard time trying to find you again, Beth.” It was Noah.

“Isn’t there some kind of rule where you have to wait three days before calling, Noah?” I found myself grinning. Why was I being so goddamn girly about this guy?

“It’s only been ten hours and I could barely contain myself, babe. I probably would’ve ended up in a mental ward if I’d had to wait three days.” I laughed. I wondered how Noah managed to sound even sexier over the phone than in person when even I couldn’t bear to listen to myself on a video recording.

Tilly popped her head into the room. Who is it, she mouthed. I ignored her and stumbled out of bed. I made my way over to her and closed the door, locking her outside. I leaned against the door and pressed my back against it as I slid to the floor, listening as Noah spoke.

“So, what do you say? Does lunch on Monday sound good to you?”

“I don’t know,” I said. “I mean, Monday’s going to be the eve of New Year’s Eve. I’ll be awfully busy doing nothing.”