#projectselfesteem / #pse :

WHAT IS PROJECT SELF ESTEEM / PSE? :

Project Self Esteem is a campaign/movement set to raise awareness on all kinds of self esteem, how to overcome low self esteem and how to help someone with low self esteem.

STATEMENTS/FACTS? :

×In sociology and psychology, self-esteem reflects a person's overall subjective emotional evaluation of his or her own worth. It is a judgment of oneself as well as an attitude towards the self.

× Low self-esteem is a thinking disorder in which an individual views him/herself as inadequate, unlovable, and/or incompetent. Once formed, this negative view permeates every thought, producing faulty assumptions and ongoing self-defeating behavior.

× Among high school students, 44% of girls and 15% of guys are attempting to lose weight.

× Over 70% of girls age 15 to 17 avoid normal daily activities, such as attending school, when they feel bad about their looks. Brighten someone's day by posting encouraging messages on your school's bathroom mirrors.

× More than 40% of boys in middle school and high school regularly exercise with the goal of increasing muscle mass.

× 75% of girls with low self-esteem reported engaging in negative activities like cutting, bullying, smoking, drinking, or disordered eating. This compares to 25% of girls with high self-esteem.

× About 20% of teens experience depression before they reach adulthood.

× Teen girls that have a negative view of themselves are 4 times more likely to take part in activities with boys that they will end up regretting later.

× The top wish among all teen girls is for their parents to communicate better with them. This includes frequent and more open conversations.

× 38% of boys in middle school and high school reported using protein supplements and nearly 6% admitted to experimenting with steroids.

× 7 in 10 girls believe that they are not good enough or don't measure up in some way, including their looks, performance in school and relationships with friends and family members.

× A girl's self-esteem is more strongly related to how she views her own body shape and body weight, than how much she actually weighs.

Self Esteem varies from one person to another, and depending on how bad one's self esteem is, it can lead to worse things.

CAUSES OF LOW SELF ESTEEM? :

The first step to building up self-esteem is figuring out why it's low in the first place. There are lots of different things that could be the cause of low self-esteem, including:

× Loneliness

× Poor academic performance

× Bullying

× Neglect

× Abuse

× Feeling like you're the odd one out

× Being unemployed

× Something going on at a deeper level

Sometimes it can be hard to identify what the cause of your low self-esteem is. It might be something that you've never really thought about, or maybe it's too difficult to determine when it first started. Whether or not you know exactly what the cause is, there are steps that you can take to build your confidence and bring your self-esteem up to where it belongs.

WHAT YOU CAN DO TO HELP SOMEONE WITH LOW SELF ESTEEM? :

× Involve them.

× Try to get your friend or relative involved with others.

× Give them positive feedback.

× Express your care and concern.

× Encourage them.

× Laugh with them, not at them.

× Listen to them.

SELF HELP TIPS? :

1. Positive self-talk

The way that you think about yourself has a huge influence on your self-esteem. If you keep telling yourself that you're no good, you might just start believing it even though it's not true. If you notice that you practice negative self-talk often, check out some ways that you can challenge your negative thinking and build your confidence levels.

2. Don't compare yourself to others

It can be really tempting to measure our own worth against other people. So what if your friend is awesome at table tennis and gets great marks? You just need to figure out what your niche is. Everyone is great at something - what are your strengths?

3. Exercise

Exercise helps to improve your mood. End of story. 

4. Don't strive for perfection

It's really great if you want to do things well, but keep in mind that perfection isn't possible.

5. Don't beat yourself up when you make a mistake

Everyone on the planet makes mistakes – it's in our basic human nature. Why should you be any different? When you stuff up, don't stress, just learn from it and move on. 

6. Focus on the things you can change

There's no point wasting all your energy thinking about things that you can't change. Why don't you spend your time and energy thinking about some of the things that are in your power to control and see what you can do about those?

7. Do things that you enjoy

If you're doing things that you enjoy, you're more likely to be thinking positively. Schedule time for fun and relaxation into every day.

8. Celebrate the small stuff

Start small and work your way up – you can't expect any huge progress to be made overnight. 

9. Be helpful and considerate

Not only is helping people a great way to boost the moods of others, but you might find that you feel better about yourself after doing something particularly excellent.

10. Surround yourself with supportive people

Don't hang around people who bring you down. Find a group of people who make you feel good about yourself and avoid those who tend to trigger your negative thoughts.