5 | The Kitchen

To: Lyovochka [9:57 PM]
'Can I call you?'

     My fingers fiddled as I waited for a reply. It took about twenty minutes and a lot of nervous fumbling until the other person on the phone replied. The response, however, surprised me.

Incoming call
Lyovochka
+81-9095995875

Swipe to answer

     I brought the phone to my ear after answering the call. "Hey! You didn't have to call. I was thinking of dialing you myself."

     "Well, you didn't even have to ask. You know I'd make sure to dedicate some time for you." A happy voice laughed on the other side of the line. "I also made you wait."

     "Fair enough." I bit my lip, heavily convinced by his argument.

     "What did you want to talk about anyway?" His slightly childish but still manly voice came through the phone.

     I sighed considering the fact that I might regret this later. "If a guy-- you know-- brings you donuts, and have flowers delivered to you, what," I paused for a moment, thinking of how to continue. "What does that mean?"

     Lyovochka chuckled at my inquiry. I quickly expounded my statement, "Haiba, you're a guy, you probably know more about these things than I do."

     My attempts to cover my embarrassment only worsened the situation as he started guffawing on the call. "Senpai, I-- sorry. It's just that you, a paranormal-romance comic artist and author, can't read between the lines of-- wait, sorry."

     His outburst made my face tickled pink. "Suzume-sama, you really need to get out more." This time, my called tried as much as possible to straighten his tone. "Your really smart, perceptive, and all but seriously... You right about action and paranormal activity when you yourself get scared with human interaction. To top it of Jason and Mia's romance had a lot of sweet courting shit, can you really not read through his intentions?"

     I felt like I wanted to crawl into a hole and hide. In a quieting voice, I admitted. "Yeah, I guess it was a stupid question."

     His hiccups and teary laughter conquered the conversation. "No not at all. More importantly, who's the guy?"

     The man's teasing tone caught me off guard but I still answered him. "Kuroo. His name's Kuroo. Talk to you later, Lev."

     "Wait! Kuroo? I think I--" With his last words of bewilderment, I chose to end the call and leave the conversation there.

From: Lyovochka [10:30 PM]
'I think I know your lover boy. Why'd you hang up this soon?'

     A sigh momentarily exited from my mouth as I shut the device of and pulled myself into the duvets of comforters. My eyes were forced shut till my busy cerebrum had no other choice but to fall into a deep sleep.

---

    Deep sleep my ass. My eyes felt a slight irritation while they slowly drooped from time to time. It took for me a while to block off the unending trail of thoughts bubbling up in my head. It was like my entire body was rejecting the lack of explaination.

     To say the least, I didn't know what else to do, and my recent phone call made me feel a lot worse than I had been. I wallowed in self-pity and frustration as I decided to cook up for myself some late breakfast and cocoa.

     I toasted some bread and smothered butter into it. On a frying pan, I flipped creamy scrambled egg with cheese. With a bit more exploring with what I had left in the fridge, I ate the breakfast in utter shame and perplexion.

     Towards the end of the conversation, I still didn't get a direct answer to my low-impact problem. Sure, Haiba might have dropped some clues here and there. But you could never be too assuming, too many hearts get hurt because of an out-of-the-line misunderstanding.

      "It's no like it's that important. It's not like I'm in love with him or whatever." The voice in my head kept reassuring me of my thoughts to the point that I just had to say it out loud. On the contrary, my heart flutters at the thought of welcoming him into my societal barriers.

     I couldn't stomach my breakfast any longer, and so I picked up the monochrome white cat who lounged in his own business. "Oh Lennon, I'm screwed."

     I held a palm to my chest as it felt a fire; burning and painful. It was squeezing through my bloodstream in a way that only a sense of reciprocal affection would accomplish. The feeling was too strong that no matter how I tried to evade from it, it just wouldn't work.

     Just then, a ringing from my phone made me jump and drop the feline into an angered hiss. The sparrow tune made my fingers numb and cold as I sauntered near it. The olive casing vibrated against the marble countertop. My pupils dilate as my heartbeat hastens its pace.

     When I finally got a hold of the gadget, I wrapped my fingers around it and swiped to see the very name that made me baffled and insane for the past few weeks.

Incoming call
Kuroo Tetsurō

+81-9497265885

Swipe to answer

     "Hello?" A nervous shiver blurted out of my lips.

     "Hey, Paige. I'm coming over." I heard a frown in his voice when he finished. "Are you okay?"

     "Yeah." My one-worded answers had no effect on his persevering intrusion.

     His voice itself made my cardiac organ skip a beat and my ears only wanted to hear him. Kuroo's suddenly felt like generously spilt honey. "Good. I'll be over in an hour."