17- After All This Time

Start from the beginning

I hopped off of the rock that was burning my legs and then waited there for him to approach, now standing side by side with Ethan, who was the only friend of his that I’ve met and that I know the name of.

“Hey,” I greeted them once they had approached the rock and then I walked in line with Carter toward his car. Sometimes, Ethan rode with Carter and they hung out at the house so I assumed that was what was happening that day since Ethan was still walking with us into the parking lot.

“Hey. How was practice?”

I shrugged. “Just practice. Sophie wouldn’t tell us where Andy took her on that date though.”

“I’m convinced that it wasn’t real,” Carter explained and I laughed, rolling my eyes at him.

“He wore a tie.”

“He paid her to say that they went on a date,” He refuted.

“And you said that I’m the pessimistic one,” I muttered, getting in the back seat of the car and just listened in on Carter and Ethan’s discussion on Andy’s unreliability when it comes to girls.

“You know,” I spoke up as Carter pulled into the garage and we all got out of the car. “In Andy’s defense, I’d seen Will hook up with more girls than Andy in the time that I’ve been here.”

“Will?” Ethan wondered curiously. “Hooked up with somebody? Who was it?”

While I shrugged in ignorance, Carter said, “Melissa Garner.”

“No way,” He said in an excited awe but then as we walked to the front of the house Carter gave his friend a look and shook his head as if to say ‘no don’t say that bad bad’ and the Ethan cleared throat and said, “I mean, uh, no way.”

That time, he sounded disappointed and grossed out.

I just rolled my eyes at them both. “All I’m saying is that I don’t think that you guys give Andy enough credit.”

I didn’t want to debate the subject though because really, it wasn’t any of my business, so I didn’t give them the chance to respond before I was disappearing up the stairs to get to my room.

After a long shower to soothe my aching joints, I got dressed in shorts and a t-shirt and wrapped my hair in a towel for it to dry and then I opened up my laptop and checked my email.

I’d gotten mail back from the teachers that I had emailed earlier in the summer, right when I got my schedule figured out via email with the school’s guidance counselor, about any summer AP work. I’d signed up for all of the AP courses that I could handle, which was three, and two of them had emailed me back about homework that was expected to be done before school started next month.

For English, I had a reading assignment and then a five paragraph essay to write about the reading. The reading was long but I could finish the essay in two hours.

As for my AP Government class, I had to do four current event one page essays about politics in the news. Also not something that I was worried about completing before school started.

I went to order the book that I needed for English online but as I was searching for the right book, a Skype message popped up on my screen which surprised me. I barely ever used my Skype, I really only had it for a job interview that I had last year but I never really got rid of it because I was too lazy.

I was getting a request to be added to somebody’s contact list and when I saw that the username of the other person was LisaWizz, I immediately thought of my mother, whose name was Lisa. I eagerly accepted the request and then waited for something to happen. For her to message me or video call me or something. If that really was my mother, I could feel my veins pumping faster with excitement to be able to talk to my mother again. After all this time.