chapter 4. prince caspian

Start from the beginning

"You always knew we'd be coming back here, didn't you?" Susan asks and I feel an ache in my heart I had always wanted to return to Narnia but I honestly was beginning to accept my life in England. My custody battle being the biggest problem in my life. If I have to go to America with my aunt, then I will have to go but if I'm being honest with myself I would choose to live in Narnia. Narnia has always been my true home.

"I hoped so," Lucy answers her sister.

"I just got used to the idea of living in England," Susan admits and I silently agree with her. I know what she means.

"But you're happy to be here, aren't you?" Lucy asks Susan.

"While it lasts," Susan replies and both of them go quiet after that.

I relax once more and feel myself drift to a comfortable sleep in my husband's arms just like old times.

♟ ♔ ♛ ⚜ ♚ ♕ ♞

Charlotte

I keep a careful watch along the tree line. I'm not tired like the others are. I'm tired in a different sense. I can't even think about sleeping at this point. All my mind has been focused on is finding Caspian and I can't help but think we must be close to him. He somehow feels closer than before.

I sigh and sit down on a tree stump, the group's fire still in view. I turn my back to it. All the Kings and Queens sleep sweetly and I keep watch. Nothing new. I don't mind keeping watch though as crazy as it sounds. As I sit with my thoughts, I begin to realize how much I really need to learn how to use a weapon other than a dagger. My hand combat skills are great, but if I came across a sword wielder well I know who would win in that fight.

"Ready to switch?"

I jump up my small blade pressed against the neck of Edmund. Ugh. "Edmund don't sneak up on me like that I could've killed you!" I hiss at him and whack him on the shoulder while tucking my dagger back into the hilt of my belt.

"I thought you heard me," he defends rubbing where I had hit him.

"No I didn't hear you and no I'm not ready to switch. You on the other hand don't look ready to either," I reply beginning to walk the perimeter.

He catches up with me, "Surely you must be tired," he says annoyingly keeping my pace like it's the easiest thing. I decide to pick up my pace just a little. Ha, see how he likes that.

"Well you're wrong again your excellency," I state my focus on everything but Edmund.

"You can call me Edmund," he replies, "and if you don't want to switch then we'll both stay awake."

"That would be a waste Edmund, now go to sleep," I say swatting him away.

He grabs my arm tightly, "Listen, I am sick of your attitude. I don't care that we're family I will not tolerate it anymore. You will stop talking to me like I'm some child when in fact I am older than you."

I stare at him surprised and a little impressed. "That is because you are 1,300 years old. If you're talking without the extended years of you missing from Narnia, then we are the same age," I argue not wanting to show how I really feel, "but fine you can watch with me, and I will stop treating you like a child when you stop acting like one, your excellency."

"I don't know why you hate me so much but-"

"You think I hate you?" I interrupt him with a scoff.