chapter 4. prince caspian

Eleanor

"Are you sure you want to stay awake? There's nothing to look out for," I tell Charlotte while everyone gets their makeshift beds ready.

"I'm positive. I won't be able to sleep anyway," she assures me.

"Would you want to take shifts?" I ask looking to Peter and he nods.

"We will do it if it feels necessary," he agrees.

"No, no," she denies, "Trumpkin and I are going to be the only ones who will keep watch."

"If you're keeping watch, then I'll join," James speaks up.

"I can handle it Mr. Knight," Charlotte declines in a sarcastic tone.

"I don't trust you to watch us without proper sleep," James replies crossing his arms.

Oh no. When he crossed his arms, you might as well give up. He will never back down. When James is determined, he will not stop.

"It will be fine," I assure Charlotte, "Let him help."

"I'll do it too," Edmund suddenly speaks up too.

"That's too many," Charlotte refuses now sounding frustrated, "Kings and Queens sleep."

"You're a Princess Charlotte," I remind her gently grabbing her hand, "You don't have to do it."

"I'm sorry Eleanor, but I can't just sleep knowing we could be attacked by the Telmarines at any moment. The only people I trust anymore is myself and the other is god knows where in this forest. Until Caspian is back and safe I will not be able to relax," she explains giving my hand a squeeze and lets go.

"Very well, but if Edmund wishes to participate you will let him," I tell her and she opens her to mouth to argue. I give her a sharp look and she snaps it shut knowing well not to refuse an order from a High Queen of Narnia.

"Fine then. Trumpkin, I'll take first watch," Charlotte decides walking away from the group and disappearing into the night shadows.

I hug everyone goodnight before Peter tucks me under his arm for bed. I rest my head on his chest and listen to his heartbeat. He's already asleep, naturally. He always did fall asleep easily. He could clear his mind a lot easier than I can. How he does it I'll never know but I live for these moments with him. I glance at him and his profile is unbelievably and devastatingly handsome. His unfairly long eyelashes and perfectly shaped soft lips stand out always capture my attention.

His arms strong and protective as they stay wrapped me. He really would do anything for me. I relax my head against his chest again. The rise and fall of his chest and crackle of the fire act as a perfect lullaby. I peek above at the stars winking down at me. The night skies of Narnia are breathtaking. Seeing the sky through the branches of the trees makes it all the more special. I close my eyes now my eyelids too heavy to keep open and feel the need for sleep out weighing the need to stay awake. As I'm about to fall asleep though, I hear Susan speak up.

"Lucy, you awake?" Susan whispers over to her sister. Lucy must stir awake though because Susan asks next, "Why do you think I couldn't see Aslan?"

I wondered this too. I was the last one to see him the last time we were here and I couldn't see him when Lucy and Charlotte did.

"You believe me?" I hear Lucy asks.

"Well, we got across the gorge," Susan replies.

"I don't know. Maybe you didn't really want to," Lucy explains and I begin to wonder maybe that's why I never saw him. Maybe I was scared to see him again. After all, the last time I saw him we had just finished a major war and he had brought me back from the brink of death.