You're drivin' me wild

Start from the beginning

What had he missed?

***

"So far nothing's changed, still as straight as ever and looking forward to you paying for my wedding."

Steve glanced up at Bucky, looking for approval and Bucky just...He didn't have it in him. His heart had shattered at those words, falling into a deep abyss of sadness. He was heartbroken.

"Good," he forced out, his hands shaking so he quickly set down the mug, knowing he was on the verge of tears. There was no way Steve could ever see him like this. "I'm going to go get ready," the words came out in a rush as he felt the tears start to slip, and knowing he had to do damage control before this got out of hand. Time to put on the mask. "I'll try not to use all the hot water when I shower," he added, a well-practiced smirk appearing on his face. It had become second nature at this point.

It's important to always look your best when you feel your worst. He'd heard that on a show at some point. Probably Political Animals. That sounded like something a Hammond would say.

He didn't give Steve the option to follow, closing the door and locking it after only a moment's hesitation. Little did Steve know, he'd taken a shower earlier that morning while the blonde was still asleep. Either way, he turned the shower on before sliding down against the wall and began to sob. He was so, so in love with this man it was killing him. He was digging himself into such a deep hole that there was no way he'd be able to make it out unharmed. He had already confessed his love for him, having gotten down on one knee and told him everything he was feeling.

It had only been seen as an act to Steve.

"I've been in love with you since we were kids," Bucky had said while holding out the dozen red roses to Steve.

It felt like a punch to the gut when Steve had cracked up laughing, but he had to play his part. He laughed, too.

Steve had kissed him.

That had been the moment Bucky started getting his hopes up.

"You make every single day worth living. You gave me a reason to fight." Bucky had taken Steve's hand, dramatically kissing each knuckle in turn. Bucky had had nothing left. He was simply a wounded soldier with PTSD, without a road leading to anywhere, and Steve had changed that. He'd brought the sun back into Bucky's lightless life.

He knew he needed to cut the bet off, to give him even a chance at recovering. Steve needed that money for the wedding, though, and Bucky wouldn't take that away from him.

So he sat there in the corner of the bathroom and let the tears stream down his face, praying that the sound of the shower would drown out his sobs.

***

Steve took the time that Bucky was in the shower to find an outfit. He hadn't brought anything to wear from his house, so he'd been borrowing the other man's clothes.

For once they actually fit.

He let out a sigh, crouching down beside Bucky's suitcase as he rifled through the bag, looking for something suitable to wear for lunch down at the cafe. He chose a simple blue button-down shirt along with a nice pair of jeans, just in time for the sound of the shower to shut off. Bucky usually took long showers. Even after all these years his minimum still seemed to be at least twenty minutes. "You trying to break some records or something?" Steve called over to the bathroom where he could hear Bucky shuffling around. There was no reply.

A moment later the bathroom door swung open to reveal a shirtless Bucky, hair wet and towel wrapped tightly around his hips. A soft gasp escaped from his lips as he stared at the man in front of him, skin shiny with droplets of water cascading down his chest, and for a moment Steve forgot how to breathe. "All yours," the brunette announced casually, nodding his head towards the shower.