Prologue ~

(Rule: Please, admins, do not edit this chapter. As it took lots of thought and effort in creating it. This book is only for me, Jaystar, and Silvereye - Silvereye_of_IvyClan. )

A yellow-furred she-kit awoke from her deep slumber. Sunshine peaked through small gaps in the well-woven roof. The yellow kit's bright orange smudges glowed golden as she stepped out into the clearing. Fresh waves of chilly air washed over her, chilling her to the bone, she fluffed up her pelt. As she rose her head to the sky, dark yellow clouds moved slowly over the camp, covering the warm sun. Snow was yet to come.

A heavy weight barrelled into the she-kit and she squeaked with surprise. Her attacker pinned her on her back, revealing white belly fur.

"I win! Did I surprise you Dawnkit? I bet I did!" Dawnkit's sister purred with satisfaction at her easy win.

"Can you get off me, Leafkit?" Dawnkit grunted. "You weigh as much as a badger!"

Leafkit was unusually short, her grey belly fur touching the cold ground. Her orange stripes stood out against the green, nearing brown, bushes. Dawnkit had to admit, her sister was very pretty. Long, pale yellow fur touched the forest ground as Leafkit trudged towards the fresh-kill pile, suddenly very sad.

As Dawnkit rushed in front of her sister, Dawnkit watched her green eyes reflect the same colour, except brighter. Leafkit's bright green eyes were dull. Dawnkit couldn't help but feel the same. She has to get over it some time! Dawnkit shouted in her buzzing mind.

"Don't be so sad, Leafkit. I know you want to find out who our parents are, but we will just have to wait. I promise we'll find them."

"How can you be so sure?" Leafkit retorted. Dawnkit couldn't argue. Because, after all, she didn't know if her parents would show up and demand the Clan they let the kits come with them to Twolegplace. She shivered at the thought of eating food that looked like rabbit droppings.

"Well, we may not find our parents, but that doesn't stop us from becoming great warriors! After all, we only have a quarter moon to go, and then we will be apprentices! The best in the Clan!" Leafkit's eyes brightened for a heartbeat, before going into a hostile glare. Dawnkit flinched at the hate, but turned to see three other kits watching them closely. Bearkit, the largest, moved forward smoothly. Rabbitkit and Honeykit followed suite.

"Well, well, what do we have here?" Bearkit sneered. "Two little kittypet's waiting for food? Or belly rubs? I don't even think the dumbest Twoleg would take you two in!"

From stories told by Snowdapple, the kits foster mother and the three bully kits mother, Leafkit and Dawnkit were born in the forest, very close to Twolegplace and fox dens. Snowdapple had said that Heatherstar returned to camp looking exhausted and worn out, stating she found two small kits. Snowdapple had said it turned out to be Leafkit and Dawnkit.

Elders started spreading rumours that the two orphans had to be completely kittypet, considering they were birthed so near to the Twoleg dens. Most of the Clan believed it, except for Heatherstar. A hard scratch woke Dawnkit from her thoughts and she narrowed her eyes to see Bearkit with his large paw raised high in the air. Thorn-sharp claws glinted dangerously.

"Watch your stupid little tails, kitties!" As he turned around sassily, Leafkit let out a growl of disapproval.

Dawnkit guided her away, towards the nursery where they would hide and talk to each other about their struggles. These young kits, almost apprentices, has a troubling kithood, and as they would always say, the only way out was to stay together. The kits settled down together, curling up to share their warmth from the nearing leafbare. They preferred to sleep alone, then with Snowdapple and the other kits. As Dawnkit started falling into a gentle sleep, she felt Leafkit's long, soft breaths, signalling she was also drifting away into her own little dream land, where she could be free...

- - - - -

"Are you awake, Dawnkit?" Leafkit whispered softly into Dawnkit's ear, ruffling her fur.

Dawnkit stretched lazily and started washing, pointing her ears towards her sister, inviting her to start speaking.

"Is it true? What they said? Are we half-kittypet or half-clan? Do we even have warrior blood in our bodies? Are we fully kittypet?" Leafkit murmured glumly.

Dawnkit stopped her gentle stroking and licked Leafkit's cheek affectionately. No matter what, I will protect Leafkit with my life! Dawnkit vowed silently.

"No matter what, we will always be kin. If our parents were brave, they wouldn't have left. We are brave, and we will never leave each other. Kittypet or not, we will be the greatest warriors WoodClan has ever seen! Do you promise to never leave me?"

"I promise to never leave you, Dawnkit. You and I are kin. And kin never leave." She placed a paw on Dawnkit's shoulder gently, balancing herself gracefully. "Do you, Dawnkit, promise to never leave me?"

"I, Dawnkit, kit of IvyClan, promise to never leave you, Leafkit. You and I are kin. And kin never leave." As she placed a paw on Leafkit's shoulder, the sisters looked at each other and mewed at the same time:

"We promise to never leave each other. You and I are kin. And kin never leave."

- - - - -

Hi! This is Silvereye, proud medicine cat and admin of IvyClan. IvyClan2017/Jaystar had wrote a snippet of this, and I detailed it some more, also making it much longer. In the proper chapters, I promise to make them longer. I hope you enjoyed this chapter (prologue) and please remember to vote, comment and possibly follow both @IvyClan2017, Silvereye_of_IvyClan, and WolfJay!

Word Count: 969Words