Part II

Part II

~Sai~

The more I think about it, the more I don't know what to do.

Although the alarm clock is screeching, I can't seem to make myself get up. It's not like I've really slept, anyway. The entire night I've been floating in and out of consciousness. The brief periods I dreamt were terrorized with nightmares of either missing out on what could be the biggest opportunity in my life, or living in a world without my friends and Ino. I would wake up panting, only to the realization that I have to choose which of these nightmares gets to become my reality.

The logical part of me is screaming to take the offer and attend the school. It's remarkable that I was even given a chance! This is such a great opportunity, and I'd be a fool to turn it down. I'd still see my friends over vacations and breaks, right? So what's the big deal? It's not like I'm leaving forever. I just won't see them for a while. It may not be months at a time, but I'll still see them.

The new, emotional side to me is telling me how I know I want to stay. Things are so great with Ino, and the very thought of her crying makes my body ache. My friends mean the world to me, and I can't picture a life without them. These are the bonds that took me so long to figure out. Leaving now would be such a waste.

I put my head in my hands. I don't even know where to start in making this decision.

I think of what Sakura said last night, about how I need to do what makes me happy in the long run. The only problem is that I don't even know what that is. Happiness is such a new emotion for me. How am I supposed to figure out to keep it?

Sakura was right in saying I need to tell Ino. She hates being out of the loop, and even more so if the news is big like this. I don't want to tell Ino because I don't want to hurt her. The only thing I ever want to do is make her smile, and I doubt the potential that I'm going to be leaving will make her lips curl.

I truly have to get ready for school. Unlike Ino, I feel it important to always be punctual. I ready myself in the usual way. I walk through my empty apartment, gathering my things. Before I leave my home and lock up, I look at it, silent and vacant. At least if I left, no one but my friends would miss me.

I get to homeroom, almost a little early. Only me, and two other students are in there. Shikamaru and Temari sit in the back of the room, talking quietly amongst themselves.

Those two have been together for a really long time. They've been dating since middle school. Although Temari actually lives in Sunagakure, she's a student here because Konoha High is more prestigious than Suna High. Plenty of students transfer to here, but still live in their home villages, like Tayuya and her friends from Otogakure.

"Do you always come to homeroom so early, Sai?" Temari says, making small talk to me.

"Sometimes," I answer simply. I don't know much about Shikamaru and Temari. Shikamaru is Ino's long time friend, and they go all the way back to their childhood. Their families have been friends for years. He's nice and responsible, but he's very lazy. Everything is too troublesome for him. He's the smartest boy in our grade with an astronomical IQ, but he never does his homework. As for Temari, I've never truly spoken with her. From what Ino says, though, she nags Shikamaru a lot, and gets jealous of Ino easily because of how close her and Shikamaru are. If I was a girl, I'd be jealous of Ino too. She's absolutely beautiful.

Shikamaru ruffles with his black thick ponytail. "Coming this early is too troublesome to do often," he grumbles.

I smile politely at them, and turn around as they return to their private conversation. My mind is too jumbled to try to remember how to socialize right now. I need to focus on my impossible decision.