Part 5: Heading to the Gym - But Not To Work Out...

May wasn't sure where she should go next. She wanted to find out more, but she didn't know how.
She surfed around for a while, unsure.
She was curious as to what those yellow buildings she kept seeing were though. Considering she currently was nearest to Sootopolis, she considered going there, but she felt awkward because of what had just happened. The next nearest place from where she was currently located that had one of these buildings, as far as she could remember, was Mossdeep, so she travelled there.
The moment she landed she recalled Wailord and hopped on her bike, sped towards the yellow building.
The building was very interesting indeed.
Floating islands everywhere. People who seemed to be taking refuge. They often stroked their poke balls defensively, so May assumed it was probably to make sure the Pokemon centre's sprays hadn't been used.
And, at the back, two identical twins.
They were what appeared to be training. Training for something. May could swear she heard them talking, although their mouths didn't move.
"Ok, now kick!"
"Push it that way!"
"Yeah, you got it Tate!"
"Alright, Liza!"
May was curious, so she stepped on a weird circular panel.
Her whole body felt light for a moment, she could've sworn she didn't see her own body for a millisecond. It felt like she was floating.
Then it was over, and she stumbled off of the panel, except it was a completely different panel.
May looked up. She had reached the small island where the twins had been training. They weren't training anymore, but staring at her with a surprised expression.
The girl spoke, yet her lips didn't move an inch.
"Hello May. Why have you come in here?"
The boy interrupted. "Liza, can't you see? Something in her memory has been blocked off. From what I can see of what she does remember, she needs to hear our names from our own mouths - or own brains - in order for each seal to break."
Liza nodded, as though she had heard. "Very well. I am Liza."
"And I'm Tate," the boy said.
Suddenly it made sense to May. She remembered that Tate and Liza were well-known for their telepathic powers, which had made them a deadly combination.
But May had never been in this area before.
"Ok. I remember you now. What is one of these places by the way?" May asked.
"This is a Pokemon gym," Tate replied, "it's a place where leaders train to fight the Pokemon centre organisation. We exercise, we fight, and in our case, we sharpen our minds so that we can use this psychic stuff to our advantage."
Liza added onto this. "You heard of the Pokemon league?" May nodded. "Well, think of gyms like the Pokemon league for leaders, except we punch things more. They also punch things, but not as much as we do. People also often feel safe if they are in an area with trained fighters, so we just let them stick around. The Pokemon league also do this, but fewer people tend to go due to the fact that they're paranoid the Pokemon centre lady just outside will notice them enter, so only those who can fly ever enter there. Which is not many. That's why this place is much more popular."
May understood the explanation. "Ok, thanks."
Tate looked her in the eyes, and spoke with his actual mouth to her. "A good idea would be to go visit other gyms. Remembering the leaders will help with that memory loss you have, even if it's just a small amount."
"Good idea," May stated, "anyway, I'd better go now."
Both Tate and Liza smiled, and said, "good luck, May."
It was perfectly in unison.
May hopped back onto the panel, letting that rushing feeling flow through her again.
She appeared back on the exit island, and exited the gym.
============
May surfed on Wailord, choosing that the next gym she should go for was Sootopolis.
She surfed her way to the city, and then surfed her way to the gym, which was situated on a small island within a miniature lake in the city.
She liked this gym. Waterfalls were situated everywhere. She had heard that there was a leader in Johto who always trained under a waterfall. She remembered this because a memory she had with Brendan was them looking at the Sootopolis waterfall, and him telling her this fact. It was like a combination of beauty and brutality, she remembered him murmur wistfully as he looked up at the starry night sky.
The path was ice.
Yeeeeeeeeeesssss!
May resisted the urge to whoop with happiness as she slid up it to meet the leader here.
The leader was very extravagant. He wore a blue jacket, which at this exact moment was buttoned up. He also had a very impressive moustache.
"Hello, I-" May tried to say, but was interrupted.
"Non! You don't need to be explained! Wallace told me everything! He used to be the leader here before he decided to become a healer. I became friends with him because I was his original leader mentor. So he trusts me with everything. He would, wouldn't he, si?"
May was impressed that he had used two different languages in one phrase. She nodded.
"Anyway, my name is Juan. I assume you came here to help your memory problem."
May nodded as a few memories became unlocked. She remembered Juan sometimes hanging around the cave of origin while they trained, talking to Wallace about random things.
"Ok. I remember you now, Juan. Sorry I'm only stopping by for a short time, but I need to go."
He smiled. "Do not worry - I understand. Goodbye!"
May smiled, and slid down the ice path back to the exit.
===============
May chose to not command Wailord anywhere this time, but instead let it take her where it wanted.
She came up by a mountain, and so she decide to enter.
This mountain, similar to Phoebe's Pokemon league room, gave her an uneasy feeling. Graves were littered around the area.
Why had Wailord taken her to such a morbid place?
Then she realised - there were several people who were crying, sobbing into their hands. She knew that their Pokemon had been sabotaged. Clearly a member had come through earlier, and had used sprays on the Pokemon while trainers and the said Pokemon paid respects to those lost.
May made sure that every person on this floor had at least one Pokemon, and then took her team out and commanded the healing moves.
Once all was done, the people began to smile. She was giving them hope. This gave May a warm, tingly feeling. It felt nice.
She did this for every other floor, and eventually reached the upper part of the mountain with her Pokemon at considerably less levels then before.
Wailord was level 41.
Lucario and Latios were level 42.
Gardevoir was level 43.
Metagross was at level 44.
Blaziken was at level 46.
May knew she had to do this, but it still pained her. She commanded them back into their poke balls, recalling that Latios actually didn't have a poke ball - its spirit settled in a flute known as the eon flute. She knew that the flute had to stay with Latios at all costs though, so unfortunately it couldn't have been her item.
As she looked around, she realised this was where she had seen Phoebe converse with ghosts all that time ago. It had been just behind the ruin that May was now running past.
As she reached the summit, May was surprised to see that Maxie and Archie were there. They each placed an orb on a counter.
They realised she had spotted them, and so turned to greet her. "Hello," Maxie said, "we were just returning the orbs here."
"Yup," Archie added, "we don't own them. The orbs are the only things that can make sure Groudon and Kyogre don't do too much damage, so they need to be protected. So the spirits here make sure that nobody steals them. We took them today as we thought we might need them. Turned out only one was needed. We then put them back here so they can be protected once again."
May looked at them. "That makes sense," she said in response, "anyway, everybody here has been healed, so I should probably make my way back down to the bottom of the mountain. See you later."
Maxie and Archie nodded a temporary farewell, then took out their flying Pokemon and soared away using fly.
==============
Yo waddup it's part 5. Yay. Anyhoo, I'm hoping this plot thickens in your eyes, but hopefully it doesn't thicken in a bad way! As you can see, this AU fanfiction is definitely defying the canon here, an it'll only continue to do that more. So, if defying canon to the extreme is too much for you, then sorry. I just decided I'll let people know if it's not their kind of thing.