Chapter 2

Chapter 2

    “I’m here! Lets get her in the car and see whats going on.” Layla said, shaking. We got her in the car and finally for once I felt safe. I don’t know why. I looked out the window and I see happy families and I wonder why we couldn’t be one. Why did god have to make OUR family not a regular family? Why did she almost die? I started to cry and then Layla looked at me and I seen her eyes start to tear up she pulled in the parking lot and told me to clear up my eyes.

     We walked inside and the lady asked us if we had been crying. 2 seconds later I could not bear but to run to the restroom and cry because I don’t like when people watch me ball my eyes out. Layla signed Natalie in and when they took her in the emergency room we sat in the corner of the waiting room with stuffed noses. Then Layla said “I have a surprise for you.” “What are you talking about?”, I said. “Just wait.” Layla said. 5 minutes later I was so tired I closed my eyes. Then I heard the door open. I opened my eyes and I saw Jake standing there staring at me. I jump up and into his arms. He squeezed me tightly and said he was so sorry about what happened. He kissed me on the cheek and then told me he would be back in 5 minutes. I turned to Layla and said, “Thank you so much” “It’s okay I felt you needed him.” she said. He came back 10 minutes later and I had fell asleep.

     He sat next to me and I woke up. I slowly set my head on his shoulder and all I remember is waking up and looking at him and Layla, both sleeping. Then I walked up to the desk and asked how long it would be until she was done. The lady said 5 minutes until they will know exactly what had happened. Jake woke up and by then the doctor came out with a clipboard and a tissue box. “I have some bad news, well one of her ribs are broke and her lungs are starting to collapse. She needs surgery tonight or she will die. We have her on oxygen now. If she would have been 15 more minutes without being here she would have died.” The Doctor explained. “I started to cry and Jake held me tight.” I looked up and I didn’t see Layla anywhere. “Where is Layla?” I said. “I don’t know 5 minutes ago before the doctor came in she was sitting right next to me sleeping.” Jake said. I looked in the girls bathroom and there she is sitting in the corner by herself. “What's wrong Layla?”, I said calmly. She had a puzzled look on her face like she had no clue what was going on. So I explained to her what was going on and she stood up and walked out into the waiting room. We all sat down with the doctor and I asked how long it would take. He said Probably 5 to 6 hours. She will have to have open heart surgery. He started to walk away and I said “Can I see her before she gets her surgery?” “Yes but quickly” the doctor said.