Chapter 6

Chapter 6

    I was scared to walk in. When I seen her she was pale, could barely talk, and didn’t know who we were. They said her organs started to collapse and her heart wasn’t pumping enough blood throughout her body. So they did an open heart surgery. Doctor Morris said she will have to stay in the hospital for another 3 days which gives us time to catch up on our family time. Well without Natalie. We visited her for a while my mom and dad trying to get her to remember things even though the doctors said she 73% will not be able to remember most things. They never believe anything  that anyone says.

     While they were talking to her Jake and I took a walk around the hospital. He grabbed my hand, and said, “Addie, I love you. I want to make sure you know that.” I looked up into his beautiful blue eyes. “Yes, Jake I know, I love you too but...” but before I could finish he said “But what?” “But we need to make sure we are not hiding anything anymore.”, I said. Jake started to say, “Addie I know, we have been together for 9 and a half months now, and we spend a lot of time together which is good, but I have to tell you something. Promise not to get mad?” “Yeah, I promise.” I said. “Okay well I tried out for the football team.” Jake said. “That’s great Jake!”, I said cutting in. “Yeah.” Jake said. “But thats not all. They said I was good enough to go to harvard state university, and that means taking time away from me and you time.” “Oh um..” I said. “You know I don’t want to leave you.” Jake explained. “Yes, me either but you should do what you want.” I said. “I am not gonna stop you from doing the thing that you love.” “Yeah, but I love you too.” Jake said. “I don’t know, you do what you think is right. Can we end this conversation though because it makes me sad.” I said. “Yeah, I just need time to think.” Jake said.

     We were on our way home and I was dosing off, leaning my head on my hand. Jake tapped me and gently pulled my hand close to him and slowly my head rested on his shoulder. Holding his hand I drifted to sleep. My parents woke us up when we got home. That night I laid in my bed with Jake because we were in the hotel. I could not stop thinking about how Natalie would feel right now. She is probably confused, doesn’t know where she is at. Then I finally drift into a deep sleep. The next morning I woke up before everyone and made breakfast. Jake woke up about 20 minutes after I did to the smell of bacon. He helped me finnish cooking and set the table. While we sat on the couch waiting for them to wake up, Jake says, “I think we would make a good family.” The awkward moment when your boyfriend says something to you and you have no clue what to say next. So I say, “Yeah, Maybe.” “So about that perfect you and me time I was talking about, where is your dream place?” Jake said. “Ummm.... Chicago, where I was supposed to go on a vacation until what happened to Natalie. Why?” I said. “I will take you there. Anything for just me and you time I miss the days at school when we could hang out by the lockers and have study dates at the library. But since we don’t have school anymore I want to take you to Chicago.” Jake explained. “Umm I don’t know Jake. It’s really expensive and I don’t want you to have to pay that much just to go there.” I said. “You don’t have to want me to pay, I want to pay and that’s that.” Jake stated. “Okay.” I said.

     To break the awkwardness my mom walked out into the living room. “I smell bacon! yummy!”, She said. After we all got dressed we went to go see Natalie. She is doing well. She is starting to remember her name and her family. “I hope she gets to be normal again.” I said. Then the nurse said, “What is normal to you?” “Like everyone else, able to remember things, able to walk and talk, and eat by herself.” I explained. “If that’s what you mean by ‘normal’ then yes she will be ‘normal’.  She can talk and she is starting therapy tomorrow. “I can’t wait until she is better, so I can take her places again like I used to.” I told my mom. I started to tear up. Jake pulled me out of the room. “Don’t cry Addie. Please.” Jake said.