Chapter 9: Riches and ruin both start with R

"Unhand me you big oaf!" Lady Edith ordered, trying to get out of the grasp of the giant guard.

"Its fine Edward, you can let her go," Ang said quietly.

The big man nodded and let go of the lady, walking out the door as fast as possible.

"Now, Lady Edith, why did you try escaping?"

"I know what you're thinking but you're wrong!"

"Really?" Ang said, sitting on the edge of a large chair.

"What am I thinking?"

Lady Edith looked around nervously trying to avoid eye contact while Ang simply kept her unwavering gaze on Edith.

"Countess, if you have nothing solid to say to me then don't say anything at all!"

Ang chuckled and stood up, walking towards lady Edith at a slow pace.

"Lady Edith, I'm sick and tired of you acting like the boss around here so answer the question or I'll have to charge you for resisting security," Ang said calmly, still retaining her Irish accent.

Lady Edith however was taken quite aback and just stood there gaping for quite a lot time.

"I was leaving the mansion on personal business," she finally answered.

"Really? What kind?"

"Countess do you really need to ask me these questions?"

"Lady Edith, I'm not interested in your personal anymore than you are in staying here, but I'm afraid I do have to ask you these questions."

"Why?"

Ang sighed and rolled her eyes, folding her arms and raising an eyebrow at Edith.

"In case you don't remember a maid, very close to me in fact, was murdered just down the hall. So if you don't want to be our prime suspect you'll tell us what you were doing trying to leave the grounds."

Lady Edith looked around nervously and twisted her handkerchief several times before looking down and saying quietly, "Look, I'm not very well off. In fact I can barely afford to pay my servants. I was trying to get to town so that I could close a deal with an acquaintance of mine."

"What kind of deal?"

Davie suddenly had the sensation that maybe she was the one selling the information, but he quickly trashed that idea. How would she get the information?

"I was selling candle sticks," Lady Edith said quickly.

"The General's candle sticks, no doubt? The ones you stole?"

Davie nearly choked when he heard what Ang had just said but Lady Edith did not deny it.

"Is this true?" Davie asked Edith quietly.

"It is," she answered boldly.

Ang nodded her head a little before looked down and biting her lip. There was silence for a while before she finally stood up and walked over to the door, gesturing for Davie to follow.

"What do we do?" Davie asked in a lowered tone.

"I have no clue."

"We have to reward her in some way."

"Why?"

Davie could tell that Ang had no pity for Lady Edith and most certainly did not like her, but he also knew that Ang was reasonable person and would agree to some sort of terms.

"She told us why she tried leaving the building. That deserves some sort of reward."

Ang bit her lip and looked over to Lady Edith before nodding and walking towards the nervous lady.

"Return the candle sticks to the General and we'll forget this ever happened."

"Will I still be a suspect."

"I'm afraid so. We can't take anyone off the list until this is all over."

Lady Edith started to fan herself and stood up from her sitting position to pace the room.

"How will I make my money?"

Davie could hear a sigh escape Ang and almost laughed out of surprise as she walked over to Lady Edith and grabbed hold of the diamond necklace around her neck, ripping it off and holding it up.

"Maybe sell these useless diamonds and grab hold of your senses lady! If you think for one minute that you have it hard I will personally take to every lower class home in this city until you change your mind. And trust me, that won't take too long!" Ang shouted, throwing the necklace on a nearby table and storming out the door, closely followed by Davie.

"Congratulations," Davie smiled.

Ang stopped in her tracks and turned to look at him with a frustrated look.

"For what?" she asked.

"Its about time someone taught her a lesson. She's been spending her money left and right but no one dared tell her to stop."

"Huh, I lose my temper and you congratulate me. What'll come next?"

"Honestly every time I've seen you lose your temper its worked in our favor," Davie told Ang, shrugging his shoulders.

"Still, I should really learn to control myself or I could end up in deep trouble."

"You're already involved in a murder and a war that isn't even in your country. I think its a bit late for that."

Ang tilted her head to one side and chuckled at Davie before skipping down the hall.

"I guess you're right!...Oh, I almost forgot. We need to talk to your brother."

"Why?" Davie asked.

"I have a few questions I need to ask him."

"Such as?"

"Why he was looking behind every single painting in the building...Yeah that's right. I'm an eve's dropper and I admit it."

- Sooooooooooooooooo, sorry I haven't updated in a REALLY long time but life always seems to get busy at the most inconvenient times. Anyway, I hope you liked the chapter and if you did votes and comments are appreciated! Thanks :D - Anna