36. Familiar Faces

My morning sickness makes the rest of the week insufferable. I wake up before the sun every single day and even decide to call in on Friday to get some much needed rest.

Luckily, today is my first appointment and rest assured I was going to be asking for something to curb my nausea.

I'm leaning against the kitchen counter, stuffing my face with a few pieces of buttered toast when Avery walks in with her phone attached to her fingertips. I furrow my eyebrows at her. "Who are you texting so early in the morning?"

It was just a bit past seven a.m and it was a Sunday. The only reason she was even up was because she was accompanying me to the doctor today along with her father. "Emma" she answers.

I recognize the name of the young girl that sits behind my daughter in my English class. "Her grandma is making her go to church this morning which is ironic considering the unholy things she said about Ben Watson yesterday."

I quirk an eyebrow at her. First, in confusion over the mention of a girl I had no idea my daughter had befriended and the second string quarterback of the Abigail Adams Patriots and then, the fear that my daughter was beginning to think of 'unholy' things herself.

She was much too young to be thinking of those things and it was much too early in the morning to worry about it in general.

"Morning" Lucas beams, stepping into the room while doing up the last few buttons on his flannel, effectively putting an end to my curiosity. "Are my lovely ladies ready to go?"

"I'm ready" Avery announces, pocketing her phone. I decide not to press the Emma subject right now and instead nod to Lucas and follow him out to the car.

~ 🌌 ~

Avery's POV

My mom keeps sneaking glances at me from the front seat while we ride to the clinic. I know it has to do with the offhanded comment that I made about Emma this morning but I wish she'd just ask me about it rather than beat around the bush like this. "Mom?" I call out to get her attention.

"Hm?" she hums.

I decide bluntness will probably be best in this situation to put an end to any and all crazy thoughts she has running through her mind. "You know that I'm not having or planning to have sex with Hayden anytime soon. Right?"

I don't fail to notice the slight waver of the car as my dad is clearly taken aback back my sudden interjection. "I'm sorry? What are we talking about?" he demands to know.

I roll my eyes, glancing out the window at the falling leaves. "I said something about a friend of mine-."

"A friend? When did you become friends with this girl?" my mother shrills. She needed to calm down. Stress wasn't good for unborn babies.

"Does it matter?" I snap in return. "Mom, saying something dirty about someone else doesn't condemn you. We're teenagers. It's a part of growing up but it doesn't mean we're all jumping into bed with someone. I shouldn't have said anything. It was a dumb joke" I finish dismissively leading to a prolonged silence that my mother inevitably breaks.

"I'm sorry I jumped to conclusions" she apologizes. "It's just that it's scary to think of you growing up so damn fast and potentially ending up like me" she sighs, glancing over at dad before turning in her seat to look directly at me. "Raising you has been the best part of my life but I want more for you my dear, sweet girl. Please just promise me that you'll wait and be careful."

"Always mama but seriously, don't worry. Remember, we've had this talk before."

"Yea we did" my dad interjects. "And I thought that it was sufficient so why do we keep bringing this up?" he asks, clearly uncomfortable.

Me and mom laugh, sharing a loving smile before we both settle back comfortably in our seats for the rest of the drive to the clinic.

~ 🌌 ~

Riley's POV

Awkward conversations aside, we head into the clinic and immediately I'm surrounded by women waiting for various reasons. Some are clearly pregnant, some are most likely struggling to get pregnant and then there are the few obvious newcomers that are just having their first gynecological visit.

I leave Lucas and Avery to go check in but return to them less than two minutes later, taking a seat between them. "So, you nervous?" Avery asks curiously, peering over at me.

I shrug my shoulders. The first time around with Avery I was terrified. I had walked into this clinic and had immediately realized I was one of the youngest girls in the room and despite having my mother next to me the whole time, I had never felt so alone.

"I'd be more nervous without the two of you" I admit, thankful that I had both my daughter and my incredible boyfriend beside me this time around.

"Well, we aren't going anywhere" Lucas beams, pecking my lips and I smile as we pull apart, my heart overcome with happiness. I couldn't believe that somehow we had found our way back to each other...and then gotten pregnant again. It was mindblowingingly perfect.

We continue to sit in the waiting room, Lucas deciding to read one of the many expectant parent magazines that were scattered around us while Avery texted her apparent new friend.

I grow fidgety on my seat, wanting to get this over with so I can slip back into comfy clothes and take a nap but suddenly, looking up I'm wide awake as I watch two people walk out from the hallway filled with exam rooms.

"Holy shit" I murmur, not minding my words which earns me a couple stares from prudish women who act like they've never sworn in their lives.

"What?" Lucas asks, following my gaze. His lips part in surprise when he too sees her standing beside someone else from our past, both of them beaming at the doctor wishing them well. "What the hell?"

"What's got you guys so riled up?" Avery asks but Lucas is already out of his seat and I'm rushing after him.

"Missy" he says, his voice demanding. Her ice cold gaze turns to my boyfriend and a sinister smile plays at her lips.

"Lukey. Good to see you again" she drawls, placing her hand on a baby bump that had to put her about twice as far along as I was. "What brings you both here?"

"None of your business. What the hell are you doing with him?" he exclaims, beginning to make a scene worthy of a soap opera.

Charlie places his hand on the small of her back and smirks. "You didn't think she'd pine over you forever, did you?"

I can see the gears turning in my boyfriend's head, no doubt thinking of any possible way that the baby could be his. The only way I could think of is if they had sex sometime around the reunion...

I think of the way I abruptly left him that night and it reminds me all too much of the same night back in high school when I had accidentally driven him into her arms before.

My body fills with dread as I pray that somehow this conversation won't end in my happily ever after blowing up in my face.