Chapter 25: Game On

Começar do início

"You just look so great and I'm still in my nightgown," I lied, turning my attention to the shapeless white dress on my body.

"Yeah, I visited Alix earlier this morning and she told me you were going to have some trouble picking out a dress. So I've come to rescue you, m'lady." He did an overexaggerated bow and held out his white gloved hand.

I took it, revealing in the feeling of the smooth satin against my calloused hands, and pulled him into the monstrosity that was my room. He let out a low whistle as he eyes darted over the scattered pieces of fabric. "It looks like your wardrobe threw up."

"I couldn't choose," I said with a shrug, "All the dresses look the same. Big skirts, tiny waist and way too much cleavage showing."

Bending down to get a closer look at the pile of dresses I had been formerly sorting through at the bottom of the wardrobe, he chuckled. "Ah Caddie, ever the Saint."

Crossing my arms over my chest, I huffed. I wasn't a saint. Saints do not have a record of killing people at least not the ones that I know of. I tried telling Aleksander that but he just laughed at me again and made a comment about how cute I looked when I pouted. My cheeks burned with embarrassment. That damn word! Cute. I was a vicious killer, what did he not understand about that!

"And apparently some saints do kill," Aleksander glanced over at me, and grinned at my death glare.

"I was doing some research on the Moon Goddesses, Alla and Aki. There are a lot of myths saying how they have wiped out masses of humans just because they don't like their specie. I don't really believe they exist but I guess that would explain some of the more aggressive plagues that came and disappeared out of nowhere."

"The Moon Goddesses do not exist, Aleksander." I scoffed. "The Council Members would have told us if so."

"I'm not so sure that's true," Alek mused, "I mean they didn't tell anyone what happened to me..." He trailed off quietly and stood up from the wardrobe with two dresses in hand.

The first was a light pink dress with diamond detailing around the halter neckline and waist. It was very pretty and I found myself taken by it immediately, then Aleksander turned it the dress around, revealing a very large pink bow. I scrunched my face up in distaste and gestured for the next one. The second was just as gorgeous, it was the kind of dress a real fairytale princess would wear with its midnight blue tulle skirt and lace bodice. I stood up, almost hypnotized by the sparkling gems nestled in the fabric. My fingers skimmed across the length of the dress, I expected the lace and tulle to feel hard and rough underneath my hands but both fabrics were gentle to the touch.

"I swear this wasn't in there when I looked," I told Alek but my eyes didn't stray away from the dress.

"Sure you didn't. How about you try it on, and I'll dig through the jewelry the Head Minister left you to wear."

Nodding absentmindedly, I gathered the dress into my arms and fled to the bathroom. Slipping out of my night gown, I grabbed the dreaded corset and sucked in a huge gulp of breath. Just remember, I told myself, the faster you do this the faster it's over. I felt like a child that had to its vegetables before it got dessert. When the corset fiasco was finally over, and I no longer had any feeling in my abdomen, I pulled the dress on. Looking at my reflection in the cracked mirror, I remembered the first time I ever wore a ball gown. It was the night I knew I couldn't ignore my feelings for Cam despite my intentions to keep him safe. In that moment he was my happy place, my solace and though I knew I had rising feelings for that boy who plagued my dreams I never thought they could match what I felt for Cam. Boy, was I wrong.

"Are you ready, Caddie?" Aleksander's voice brought me out of my musings.

I gave my reflection one last look, knowing that my hair and my face was as good as it was going to get without Alix's magical touch- and then I left the room. Aleksander was waiting for me by the door. His face lit up as he saw me in his selected gown. I didn't know what I looked to him but whatever he saw captivated him, and left him in awe. Taking my hands in his, he pulled matching satin blue gloves up my arms. When he was done, he let his finger linger on my arms for a breathless moment before trailing their way back down to my hands.