When Worlds Collide

Chapter 1:

Apology

            I was sitting alone on the edge of a cliff, my feet hanging off the edge, thinking about the argument I’d just had with Maya. Damn it! I thought to myself. Why do I always get so mad?! I was never like this with Max. I clenched my fist. I didn’t understand why I always got so emotional when I was with Maya. I was always too angry, too happy, too… anything when she was around. I sighed and lay on my back, spreading my wings out on either side of me as I lay in the grass staring up at the sky, feeling the sun warm my skin and feathers. I closed my eyes and pretended to be asleep when I heard someone coming up behind me. I already knew it was Ratchet… it was always Ratchet. Unfortunately, my attempt to deceive him failed… again.

            “Hey,” he said, sitting down beside me as I sat up and folded my wings. Ratchet had a way of doing these kinds of things. Sitting and talking about people’s problems, and making them see sense.  What with his power and all. He just loved messing with people. Me in particular.

“What?” I asked in a monotone. Hey, it gets people thinking! Well, it did that to Max at least. Oh how naïve she was.

He didn’t answer right away, which annoyed me. If he came here to talk, then he should say something instead of sitting there looking like Buddha. “What are you doing here?” he finally said in an exasperated voice while turning to look at me.

I started. “Wha-?” I asked stupidly. “What do you mean ‘what are you doing here’? That’s my question!” Why the hell was he asking such a dumb question? “I’m trying to take a nap, stupid.”

He rolled his eyes and sighed. “You know what I mean, Fang. Why are you moping up here by yourself and not trying to make up with Maya?”

            “Why would I want to do that? She’s the one who started it.”

            “Fang,” he sighed, “we all know you and Maya are into each other,” damn, is it that obvious “you two are great together. But when you guys fight like this, you’re completely miserable, and none of us likes to see you guys upset.” He paused, and then added, “Besides, when you’re miserable, you both make sure the rest of us are miserable, too.” We both grinned at that last part.

            I sighed. “Yeah, I guess you’re right. But…”

            “You don’t know what to say.”

            “…”

            “Just say sorry.”

            We sat for a while, not saying anything and just watching the sky. After about an hour I finally stood. I turned to Ratchet. “Thanks,” I said, and meant it. He just smiled and waved his goodbye as I leapt off the edge of the cliff and snapped out my wings, flying off to face my imminent demise… apologizing to Maya. Oh, help.

. . . .

            Maya was talking with Star, sitting on the back patio of the house we’d all come to call home in the past few years. The house was incredible. It was a large, old Victorian style farm house. It was three stories, with 7 bedrooms and only three bathrooms. It had a long, white wrap-around porch with a large back patio for accommodating parties and/or a lot of people/ guests. The house sat on the top of a hill at the end of a long drive, with a huge backyard. Trees lined both sides of the long drive and the backyard was enclosed with the same trees. It was my dad’s house. Yes, I said Dad. It’s a long story. I’ll tell you later.

            Maya didn’t even look up as I landed in the back yard. Star stood up, whispered something in Maya’s ear, and went inside. I walked over and sat down on the chair beside her.

            “Hi,” was all I could say.

            “Hi.”

            “…”

            “…”

            “Look Maya, I—“

            “I’m sorry!!” she blurted.

            I blinked. “Wha-?” Maya was apologizing? Maya was apologizing? What the hell?!

            She sighed, “I said ‘I’m sorry’.”

            “… Why are you apologizing? I was the one acting like an asshole.” I looked away, ashamed at my previous behavior. I heaved a sigh. “Look Maya, I’m sorry. I acted like a jerk when I shouldn’t have. You have every right to be pissed at me, and you should. I’m mad at me. I shouldn’t have said what I said or did what I did, but I’d rather go back to NOT being mad at each other.” I looked at her hopefully. “Can you forgive me?” … that’s more than I ever said to Max in a lifetime!

            Maya didn’t say anything. She looked nervously down at her feet. I resisted a scowl. She was hiding something… again. This was actually the reason we were fighting in the first place. Something was going on, and she wasn’t telling me what it was.

            “Maya, look; I don’t know what’s going on, and I don’t know why you’re not telling me, but I’m sorry I overreacted and upset you. It’s obviously something personal, but I feel like I can’t help you or protect you if you don’t tell me.” I paused, “I really wish you would tell me, but you don’t have too. If it’s something you’re just not ready to tell me, then tell me when you’re ready. Just don’t leave me in the dark, expecting the worst.” I grabbed her shoulders and looked her in the eye and said, “I love you, Maya. You know that. I just want you to know that you don’t have to hide anything from me, that you can trust me and can tell me anything. I’ll always be here for you, no matter what happens." I’m gonna lose my voice from all this talking!

            Maya just stared at me for a moment. Then she seemed to break as she threw her arms around me. “Oh, Fang!” she said looking up at me with tears in her eyes. I had barely a moment to brace myself, before she kissed me.