January 2017 - Love on ice

1170 words. This is a GMW fanfiction for the #JAN2k17 January Fanfiction contest - Love on Ice.

My Coach has been working us hard over the past few month, the day of competition slowly approaching. We still haven't discussed who we're going to be partnered with, the delay is just killing me.

It's only a month until the national skating competition and I already feel nervous, especially because Coach is pointing out every mistake we make. I feel a little lucky though as I haven't made as many mistakes as the majority of the club, but I still have to polish my moves. I will be doing a pair skating routine, I haven't even started a routine yet because coach hasn't assigned me a partner. There isn't many people to choose from for a partner so I don't understand why its taking so long.

Currently I'm working on my turns, they are my favourite moves to do. As I'm finishing a haircutter spin, my best friend calls me over from the stands. I skate towards her with the bright smile that never leaves my face, I step onto the soft flooring and take a seat beside her.

Maya Hart has been my best friend for as long as I can remember, she is a rebellious girl with am amazing artistic ability, speaking of said ability, I find a pad of papers. She has her pencil in hand finishing off little details on the drawing she has been working on. "What you doing Maya" I ask as she looks at me with a small smile.

"Peaches, you know I can't tell you that" she grins slyly, "But I guess you could have a small peek" Maya responds making my grin grow even wider. My bestie passes me the paper she was working on.

I gasp in shock at the design, it looks like a figure skating dress design, I'm positive it is. My eyes move to Maya and she grins, her blue eye slightly squinting. "Maya this is beautiful, I never knew you liked designing" I speak with low breath due to how amazed I am.

She shrugs and takes the pad back, she puts it in her bag then slouches on the seat making me chuckle slightly. Maya doesn't respond or get a chance to because Coach calls everyone over to her. I give Maya a small wave as I walk back on to the ice and skate towards the rest of the coach.

We stand in line and wait for our Coach to speak. "Girls and boys, I know you've been waiting to find out who our skating pairs will be, but first I'd like to introduce a new member. He has transferred and is a great skater, I'd like you all to make him feel welcome" he speaks, some of the girls perk up at the introduction of a boy joining the club. As the coach introduces him, a boy with brown hair, green eyes and a tall athletic build skates towards the group, he stops beside Coach and flashes everyone a bright smile, showing his straight white teeth.

"Everyone, this is Lucas Friar, he will be participating in nationals. Lucas will be apart of the pair skating group" Coach smiles and Lucas does a small wave 'hello' to the group. Coach tells the boy to join the group then starts introducing the duos for the competition, "Jade and Charlie, Sarah and Farkle, and Riley and Lucas. Everyone else please go and practice while I speak with these six" he smile dismissing everyone who wasn't said.

I stand beside my other best friend Farkle, he's got this edgy haircut and blue eyes. My eyes trail from coach to the boy beside me, Lucas. Standing beside me I notice he's a few inches taller, his head turns to face me and gives me a smile, I quickly look to Coach with a goofy smile on my face. He gives us a brief discussion then we split into our pairs.

After hours of practicing, getting to know each other and my heart constantly beating out of my chest it's time to pack up. I smile at Maya as I make my way out of the big building, she raises a brow, a cheeky smile on her face. I blush and hide my face behind my brown hair, "Riley Matthews, did I see you skating with a boy" Maya smirks as her question, "You're not going to leave me are you".

I chuckle at her question and shake my head, "Peaches, you know I'd never do that", I wrap my arm around hers as we walk out of the parking lot. As we start walking down the street  I hear my name being called, I freeze at the sound of the husky voice, my cheeks already becoming red.

I turn around slowly and grin at Lucas, he's currently wearing a very cosy, casual outfit that suits him well. He smiles at me and then looks at Maya giving her a small wave, "Hi I'm Lucas" he introduces.

"Oh I know, Riley can't stop talking about you", I blush redder than I have ever blush before, she nods at him and turns to walk away, "I'll see you later Riley" are her final words as she walks down the street making me speechless.

Lucas has a small blush on his cheeks along with a bigger smile, "She seems nice. So-uh, I was wondering if maybe you'd like to hang out" he asks quietly while dusting off the small amount of snow that made its way from the clouds to his shoulders.

I bite my lip and nod, he holds hid hand out for me and I take it immediately as we start walking off. My heart is beating hard against my chest that at any moment it could burst out. We make small talk as we stroll through the park that's nearby my home apartment. The trees and grass are covered in large amounts of snow making the area look beautiful. If my father saw me he would freak, the thought made me giggle catching Lucas' attention. He smiles at me, a smile that sends tingles all over my body, "What were you thinking about".

I look into his eyes before bursting into a fit of giggles, "I was just thinking about how ballistic my father would be if he caught me holding hands with a boy" he laughs with me at my statement, squeezing my hand tighter in a comforting way.

We stop walking to calm down our giggles, as I stand straight I notice Lucas looking at me with a dazed look. He takes both my hands into his pulling me closer to him, he leans down close to my face, our lips only an inch away. My mind goes into a frenzy. After a moment of silence I tilt my head up, our lips meet and mold into a small, soft, passionate kiss. Seconds later we pull away from the kiss and stare into each others eyes. I feel a big spark ignite through me making it seem like we are the only two people in the world.