03. New friends, new problems

A smell of rum teased Desmond's nose.

  He woke up in a dark room. From the gentle swinging of the surface, Desmond quickly realised he was in the storage of a ship. Actually he knew that ship. He recognized it. It was the Jackdaw.

And Desmond was a prisoner. He remembered how Edward hit him with something and the voices that followed.

  He heard footsteps. A short pirate with one eye entered. He examined Dez like a rare statue and shouted:

  "Get on those weak feet of yours and come on the deck! The captain wants a word with ya."

  Desmond did as he was told. The hot Jamaican sun greeted him. Then Dez faced his ancestor.

   The feeling was strange. He had gotten used to control Edward, and now, standing in front of him, feeling his dangerous spirit and brave eyes...he felt fear. He knew how unpredictable the pirate was.

  "What do they call ya, little guy?" Ed smiled. But not a happy smile.

  "Desmond." his voice was too weak.

  "And why were you following me...Desmund?"

  "DesmOnd" he corrected Ed "My name is Desmond. I weren't following you. I come..I come from the future. I am something like your...grandson. I was told you need my help."

  The short silence after his words was followed by loud laugh. The whole crew was chuckling, already making fun of Mr Miles.

  "You do not think I would believe your crap, do you? Your clothes are strange, but every other world sounds like a bad joke to me." the captain was laughing as well "Traveller trough time? I even had a dream like this." he noticed "You need to try harder to save your life."

   Edward was right. Desmond had to try harder. This story sounded insane and no one would believe him. What if he showed them? His mobile phone? Nah, he left it at home.

   As Desmond was thinking what to do, he felt something painful on his chest.

  A knife.

  Edward smiled at him.

  Not a happy smile.

  Dez fell on the ground.

to be continued

                       16.01.14