.:.:To New Beginnings:.:.

"The roads are absolutely horrible out there, folks! Stay indoors if you can, it's looking to be one frigid New Yea-"

Sousuke shut off the radio and collected the papers scattered on his desk. He didn't understand why his boss had him working today, of all days. It was the last day of the year for goodness' sake.

"S-senpai!" Sousuke looked up to see the newbie in training peeking out from the door. Shooting a bored look at him, Sousuke sighed. "What do you want?" Nitori hesitantly walked in, obviously intimidated by the teal-eyed officer. "T-there's a call for you on line 1; it seems very u-urgent!" Sousuke stood up and started to put on his coat. "Leave it, it's probably the boss." The silver-haired man shook his head, "It sounded like a child's voice, senpai!"

'A child's voice?' Sousuke wondered who it could be. Waving Nitori out of the office, he pressed the flashing button on the phone. "Iwatobi Police Station, Yamazaki speaking."

"...Dad?"

Confusion flooded Sousuke's mind. Why was his son calling him at work?

"Haru? What's wrong?"

"...It's Mommy." Panic invaded Sousuke's thoughts. What had happened to you?

"What... What's wrong with Mommy?"

"She went to see someone a long time ago. She left me at Makoto's and said she would call me when she got there, but she never called..." Sousuke shook his head; only you would brave the storm raging outside.

"Okay, I'll go find her. Stay put." Sousuke grabbed his briefcase, slammed the phone on the receiver and ran out of the station.

The blizzard was fierce. How could you even think of going out in this weather?

He got in his car and drove home, keeping a sharp eye out for you. Not many people were out in the streets, so when he spotted a bright (f/c) jacket, he was assured it was you.

He pulled over and rolled the window down, calling to you, "Need a ride?" Your already red cheeks flushed even more as you quickly jumped in the car.

"It's freezing out there, you know?" You blew on your palms and tried to warm your hands. "Haru called me at work." Sousuke stated plainly. "Why would h- Oh! I forgot to call him! My phone froze from the cold and I totally forgot... Of all days, I had to run into an old friend today... Oh, he's probably worried sick! How could I do that?" You chastised yourself while Sousuke reassured you that it was a simple mistake. "I guess so... I should go apologize to him." As you arrived at Makoto's, you went to knock on the door.

It was for the first time in many years that Sousuke had seen Haru with tears falling down his cheeks. The little boy did not usually show much emotion, but as you bent down to wrap him a big hug, there was no hiding the joy and relief he had when he saw you. Deep in Sousuke's heart, he knew he wanted Haru to feel the same affection for him as he felt for you.

As the clock struck 12, Sousuke thought of a new resolution for the year to come – spending more time with his son.