1. His Blue Eyes

It's been ten years since that happened. Since I shifted. I'm turning seventeen soon.

I still live in the orphanage. I've learned to ignore Barbara, the orphanage owner. What sort of name is Barbara? No offense to anyone with that name, but it sounds like an old person's name to me. But that's just me.

Being the only werewolf in a house full of snobby humans is frustrating. I spend most of my time out in the forest, and on the slim occasion I go back there I get drilled by Barbara. She thinks I'm doing drugs or something else illegal.

Stupid old hag.

Today was my first day of school. I'm moving to a new one because Barbara wants me to go to school with the new girl at the orphanage. She's only in year seven, while I am in year twelve, which sucks. Everyone hates year sevens, stupid little know-it-all's. But when they get to year eight they hate the new year sevens, so it's all good. Like an endless cycle.

My old school was apparently too far for Barbara to drive anymore, so me and the new girl will be going to a closer one.

I pull on a pair of dark blue skinny jeans and a floral top, wearing calf length brown boots. I am so glad Barbara had to buy me new clothes because none of the hand-me-downs fit. At least she has good taste. The new girl wasn't as lucky though. She got stuck with clothes worn by other people. Because I am so short and slender, nothing we have here fits me. Every thing is too big, or too childish. I guess I'm just lucky in that respect.

Because the new school is closer, the new girl and I have to walk. Joy oh joy.

It's extremely awkward, to say the least. Especially since I don't know her name and she probably doesn't know mine. I have always been at the orphanage, too, she hasn't. So she must have just lost her parents or guardian.

The new girl has blonde hair cut in a bob cut and brown eyes. They seem kind of sad, but I would expect that. She seems frightened of everything around her, and is constantly jumping and flinching. Like me. She might not think I notice, but I do. I'm the only werewolf around here, after all, I notice just about everything... most of the time.

The school comes into our view ten minutes later.

The girl clears the back of her throat, making me jump. "I'm Iris. You are?" She asks, sticking her hand out for me to shake.

"Oh... um, I'm... um, I'm Lyrissa." I stutter, suddenly nervous. I'm always nervous around people I don't really know, and even then I still stutter sometimes.

Iris smiles at me. I notice her smile is perfect. "So have you been to this school before?" She asks me.

I shake my head. "I, um... I used to go to another s-school but Barbara sends me here now. Today's my first day." I mumble, a small blush stretching across my cheeks at how stupid I sound.

Iris just giggles lightly. "Well at least you got new clothes and not hand-me-downs." She sighs, looking down at her old clothes. She's got faded denim shorts and a black singlet on, a grey cardigan over the top. At least there are no stains or rips.

The school gets closer and closer with every step we take.

"Are you nervous?" I whisper, breaking the tranquil silence.

Iris shrugs. "A little, but I'm used to it." She tells me.

I give her a questioning look.

"My Dad was in the army. We moved around every six months or so. It's, like, second nature to me to be the new kid." She smiles sadly at the thought of her parents.

"That must have been hard." I murmur.

She shrugs her thin shoulders again. "Eh." She says plainly. "It's not that bad. I got used to it. I didn't mind because I could Skype with my oldest friends, you know?" She says, sighing again.