Chapter 2

Ciel sighed as he had entered his home, for his brother had left earlier because of the same excuse: he was not feeling well. It had begun to aggravate Ciel. Arthur had left all the strenuous tasks to his brother since he came to live with him.

            Ciel had begun to trudge his way to his bedroom upstairs. He did not want to disturb whatever it was that Arthur was doing at the time. Well, he was also too tired to do anything other than go up the stairs and rest for the night. Today they had a lot of customers, more than they'd had in quite a while.

            He had finally reached his door when he heard a loud bang come from the living room. It caused him to stop, but it did not cause him any alarm. He heavily sighed as he opened the door quickly. All he had to do was trudge a few more steps, and then he would be in his soft bed with its quilted comforter. As soon as he had hit the bed, he was unconscious from his exhaustion from that fateful day.

Ciel had awoken from his dream as lightning struck nearby. He had tried going back to the world of slumber, but he simply could not. He groaned as he grabbed his pocket watch and checked the time. 12:37. Great. It had only been three hours since he arrived home.

            He had slowly exited his bed and groggily headed towards his door to find something to do until he became exhausted again. When he had reached the banister, he began to worry for his brother. Why the hell didn't I check on him!? he had thought as he swiftly walked to his brother's bedroom door.

            He had knocked on it quietly, as not to disturb him in case he was asleep. He quietly opened it, only a crack, and did not see him there. Maybe he went to the earth closet?

[Earth closet means the outhouse or the bathroom outside since there was no plumbing. You're welcome.]

            He then began to quickly head to the mail pile they have downstairs. He thought that could shake off the strange feeling he had in his gut. He straightened up the pile as he checked for any mail for himself. It wouldn't kill him if he would organize the mail and keep it in order...

            That was when a letter caught Ciel's interest. It was a letter from his love, Delilah. He smiled to himself as he reached out to grab it to open the, potentially, neatly written letter from his fiance.

            He strode over to the living room, not paying any mind to anything other than the letter. He elegantly sat down on the loveseat, taking out the very thin paper.

Dearest Ciel,

It has been quite lovely in Arkansas. I wish you could be here with us, however I know that work and your brother come first. I just wish that you would sometimes take some time off. It's not good for your health, especially with you doing most of the work.

            Anyways, I know you're probably wondering how I'm doing, knowing you. I've been fine; Miguel and father have been taking good care of me. They say we will be coming home soon, so I hope to see you when we get back.

            I know this letter is significantly shorter than my others, but I had to keep it short today. I'll explain everything once I arrive home and see your face.

Love, Delilah

            Ciel smiled at the thought of her being okay. He knew the stunts that Miguel usually pulled, and she would usually "save" him in some way. In the process, she would end up hurting herself. It was great to hear that he is finally maturing.

            Ciel could not wait to see his soon-to-be wife again. He felt content with that thought.

            However, the peacefulness quickly ended as he heard another lightning strike. He jumped and it caused him to remember his brother. Had he come in while I was reading the letter?

            That caused him to jolt up to check. He clumsily ran to his brother's room again and composed himself before slightly opening the door again. He did not see him anywhere, which caused his eyes to go wide. He did not even bother closing the door as he bolted out of the two-story house, leaving the door ajar.