Every School Has One

Going into a new high school, in a new town, is harder than you think. Especially when you got kicked out of your old high school, for starting some dumb little fight over nothing. Now that I think about it I’ve had worst fights with my younger siblings. The fight that got me kicked out was a dumb fight.

            Over the break I did some soul searching, I figured out that my knuckle hadn’t been the same since I had hit that kid in the face. I don’t know what it was but something had made me really upset that day, I was told by the patrol officer to drop the subject, but how could I drop it when part of my body showed it. Id gotten in fights before this one but never this bad, never enough to get me kicked out of a place where everyone knew who I was.

            Now I was starting a new school in less than an hour, this meant I would have to ride the bus again. I used to live close enough to walk, but that was out of the picture now. High school seems like it never ends, and for a kid like me it probably wouldn’t end until my 6th year. I wasn’t that smartest kid but that never mattered before, now at my new school all that matters is if you’re a smart kid or a dumb kid, if you’re a hot kid or a not kid, if you’re a popular kid or if you’re at the bottom of the totem pole, which at the moment, I was. Piling out of the big yellow death trap, I could extend to my full height. Standing a towering 6’2, I was taller than the average high schooler. Most people stared, but I kind of stopped paying attention, I knew I was tall; hell some girls kinda like tall guys. Scruffy black hair that you could tell I didn’t brush this morning was revealed when I pulled the beanie off the top of my head. Blue eyes that hid behind thick eyelashes, I am the definition of perfect. Most girls stop and stare but Id ignore them, because id like to tell myself I’m to good for them, but in all actuality there probably to good for me. Maybe that’s why I got into the fight, because the other kid was jealous of my looks, nah I highly doubt it. I know I was overly cocky, but hey I was at a new school might as well come off as “that guy.”  

            I had been giving a tour of the school before the break, but even then I wasn’t paying attention. I lazily made my way to the front office, I waited at the counter, I dang the bell a couple times, and then a short women came up to the counter. She had grey hair and glasses that came just up to the bottom of her nose. I told her I was new, and then she gave me a schedule and some paperwork. I raised my eyebrow and she answered my question, she told me to have my mom and dad fill it out and to bring it back to her the next day. Id try but my parents were never home, and when they were they didn’t want to sign out some stupid school forms. I was just gunna have to guess at all the information and forge a signature and I would be good, I wouldn’t even have to make them worry about anything. When I finally navigated myself to my locker, I put in the combination and pushed the lock up, I threw my stuff in and headed to my first class. Everyone was still in the hallway when I got there. They all stopped talking to stare, I stopped in front of them and raised my eyebrows, and I know oh my god a new kid… not a big deal. I just looked down at my phone and started to count down the hours until I got out of here and away from people. The teacher came running down the hall, his tie flowing in the wind, he looked like he belonged in a movie. He opened the door and we all filed in after him. Finding a seat is something a new kid always fears, because everyone else has already been in this school, they already had their seats. I picked one in the middle of the room, to my surprise no one kicked me out. A red headed girl sat to my left, she was pretty, strawberry hair, brown eyes that looked like chocolate, and little brown freckles all over her face. She looked like a kid from my old school, pretty but shy, she looked like she didn’t have a care in the world. She looked like she was trying to make a friend of me, I wasn’t the friends making type, and I didn’t have friends. I never did, my friends were in comic books and TV series. Friends weren’t normal for me.