Chapter 8: Exploring

The clock next to her bed read 4:00 AM and all was quiet except for the storm still raging outside. Jennifer felt a little restless especially after her first night. She decided to get up and maybe take a walk to ease her mind. With a burning curiosity she Looked around the bedroom, and while exploring her walk-in closet she noticed a silk hooded cloak in the closet, and tried it on. Amazed at how well it fit her she checked herself in the mirror.

Oh wow Look at this clasp. I've never seen anything like this.

She clasped the cape at the neck. It Looked like two Gothic winged cherub angels. This is a bit heavy but understandable as it appears to be made of wool with silk lining.

This must be from the Victorian Renaissance era. I've seen things like this only in movies. Oh I so have to try this on. Wow this is gorgeous; it is a shame people stopped wearing this kind of stuff. Besides I bet its cold out.

Seeing her reflection in the mirror Jennifer smiles, and her mind turns to wondering about Shaldorn Manor, and Castle grounds. Her curiosity drove her to explore more of Shaldorn Manor. Continuing through to the hallway just outside the bedroom which led to a stairwell leading downstairs to the kitchen. The opposite end of the kitchen showed a double doorway which lead to a patio area.

Oh good Looks like the rain stopped at least for now.

Shielding herself from the wind with the hooded cape, walking toward the iron railing. Jennifer opened the small gate with Gothic railing and onto what Looked like a garden area. The trellised moonlight through the treetops was more than enough visibility to reveal the flashlight left by the grounds-keeper. She picked up the flashlight and tested it. Oh good it works. Better take this with me in case I need it.

Lighting revealed moss clinging in the shade of the ancient walls like a straggly beard. The once proud turrets had crumbled in places giving the impression of a bedraggled ruin. Its battlements glistened with the flashes of lighting in the cold fall air, their ragged outlines blending into the rocks behind. The moon is full and the castle in shadow. Who knows what mischief she will get into on her own.

Making her way across the garden; the rain bounces from every hard surface, the symphony of the lighting and thunder, and the eerie sensation of an ominous present being veiled behind the darkness watching her every move caused her heart to beat faster. It was so acute; she could feel eyes examining her frame. There is a heaviness to her cape that was absent when she left the kitchen, in just a few minutes it will weigh no less than if she had swum across the garden rather than walked.

Wind whipped the frigid drops, sending them hurtling in every direction including Jennifer. She went inside a door across from the garden leading into another part of the Manor. A fierce gust of wind blew through, rippling the mighty oaks surrounding her, and chilling her to the bone.

Startled she made her way through a doorway at one of the tower ruins and into a long hallway. With her hand she flapped the water droplets off her cloak and pulled it over my head. The storm outside subsided at least for now. Reaching the other end she noticed a staircase leading down. The moon cast a silver light onto the stairs. Adding more light with the flashlight gripping it tight, and with fearless intrepidation she began the descent down the ancient stone staircase which shown cracks from centuries of wear.

The cold damp air wrapped around her like a heavy coat of chain mail as the light from the flashlight revealed what appears to be an extensive room with shelves at one end. This room is ancient.

The dampness of the room gave way to an occasional rat scurrying about. At one end of the room was a massive wine cellar filled with bottles some of which appeared dusty but others clean with labels facing up as though someone took great care of it. Furniture in the room was covered in white cloths dusty from their lack of use. At the opposite end of the room was what appeared to be a doorway of some sort? As she approached it the light of the flashlight she carried revealed a shadow in the corner which drew nearer, silent coming closer, and closer. I wonder if it's one of the staff.