Chapter One: Welcome to Our House

There was not a cloud in the sky as Cosette Fauchelevent opened her eyes on a cool Monday morning. Her eyes opened to the open window where the curtains fluttered slightly. Cosette sighed slightly at the sight, quickly identifying it as the cause of the cold air in the room. As she rose slowly to her feet, she stole a glance to her sleeping sister in her bed. Sybill's sleeping pattern was almost always askew. Sometimes the girl would wake up at dawn while other days she would not arise before noon.

Cosette stole towards the window and shut it. She watched a man and woman stroll arm-in-arm past her window on the street. The girl sighed dramatically before taking sight of the beautiful garden in the back yard. They had arrived last night at such a late hour that she hadn't had a chance to wander the garden her father had promised her would be present at the home.

The blonde-haired girl took a deep breath and yawned before looking at the bed where her sister slept once more. Usually, Sybill requested that Cosette wake her when she wakes up, however, Cosette thought that today the girl would fancy her sleep even better. With a certain quiet stealth, Cosette's bare feet crept towards the door. Her pale hand twisted the doorknob slowly as she exited the room. On the other side of the door, she let out a small sigh of relief.

"Cosette," her father called to her gently. Cosette looked to where her father was sitting at the small dining table that was just on the other side of the open door that led to the kitchen. "Is your sister awake?"

"No, Papa," Cosette shook her head. She took a few steps towards the table and sat down across from her father. He pushed a plate of croissants towards the girl, and she took one.

Monsieur Fauchelevent nodded from behind the book he read. "We should let her sleep I suppose."

Cosette took a deep breath. "Papa," she mustered. "Papa, I fear that Sybill... That Sybill is worried about living here once more."

Her father set down his book from across the tiny, round table. "What makes you fear this?"

"Sh-she... She seems more on edge," Cosette answered truthfully. "She's gotten quieter since you mentioned we would be living here. She didn't even seem excited by the prospect of us attending the public ball for the arrival of that Countess. She's usually so...happy about those types of things."

Solemnly, the old man nodded. His hand was resting on his brown beard that was growing more gray each day. "Yes, I have noticed this as well," he admitted quietly.

"How long till we are bound for England?" Cosette inquired.

"The earliest we can depart is the first week of November," answered the man honestly. It was only the second week of August presently. He sighed. "Cosette, do try to make her happy here."

"Of course, dear Papa," nodded Cosette quickly. "Of course. I'm sure her nerves will fade the more we explore the quiet town."

"Yes," her father agreed. "Although you know where you are not allowed, yes?"

"Yes," Cosette nodded. Her father had told her that the girls were not allowed anywhere near the hospital where Sybill's mother and brother died.

"Very well," her father nodded. "Do wake your sister sometime soon so you two can go off to explore."

"You won't have to tell me twice," replied Cosette with a large smile.

"Or me," Sybill interjected from the doorway of the girls' bedroom. Cosette jumped at the sound of her voice though their father only chuckled.

"Oh, Sybie, must you do that?" whined Cosette. "You know it always frightens me."

"Which is why I must do it," replied Sybill smugly. She took a seat between her father and Cosette and grabbed a croissant from the plate Cosette passed her. "Now, what is it you two were discussing?" she said with a yawn at the end.

"We're going out to town today," Cosette replied with a happy smile. "We passed that lovely town square, and I imagine there'll be a marketplace. You could show me a few of your old favorite places too, if you'd like."

"That sounds nice," Sybill lied. Everyone at the table knew it was a lie though no one made a motion to comment on it. After a silence ensued, she added, "When shall we depart?"

"After we dress," Cosette replied. "And have luncheon I imagine."

Their father bit his lip. "We do not have much for luncheon this afternoon. I am afraid I planned on the two of you waking early and leaving."

"Oh," Cosette exclaimed. "Well, perhaps we will just go after we dress."

"Very well," nodded Sybill as she finished her croissant. "I suppose we should start to get dressed then?"

"By all means," their father said with a slight gesture and a smile, encouraging them to leave and dress for the day.

The pair walked together to their bedroom. Sybill ran a few hands through her black hair. The extreme, unmanageable curls in it were even more monstrous this morning. She turned, in vain, to her sister. "Can you-"

"Of course," Cosette replied happily, knowing what she would ask. The pair sat down on Cosette's bed. Cosette ran her fingers through her sister's hair dividing it in sections to braid then twist onto her head in a tight bun. "How are you this morning?"

"I'm well," replied Sybill cordially. "And you?"

"I'm tired," joked Cosette gently.

Sybill sighed. "I heard you talking with Papa," she admitted immediately.

Cosette sighed as she continued fixing her adopted sister's hair. "Yes?"

"And I wanted to thank you," Sybill said, "but you need not worry for me. I am merely trying to put my past behind me as you have done with yours."

"It's hard," Cosette admitted. "It's very hard. The things those people..." She shook her head, trailing off. "I only enjoyed caring for their little son."

"You practically raised the little boy," added Sybill, "at least with the way you tell it."

"Because I did," remarked Cosette.

"What was his name?" Sybill inquired. "Gastón? Garon?"

"Gavroche," chuckled Cosette. "I called him Gav."

"He was only three years when you left, wasn't he?"

"More like three months," chuckled Cosette. "I think about him quite a lot actually."

"I'm sorry," sighed Sybill. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have-"

"No, don't worry," Cosette shook her head, setting her hands on her sister's shoulders as she finished the girl's hair. "I like thinking of Little Gav. I do hope the little boy is doing well."

"You sound like me with Julian," chuckled Sybill.

Cosette smirked as Sybill turned around to face her. "Do you ever think he could possibly be in town still?" inquired Cosette.

Sybill scoffed. "I doubt it," she responded. "It's been - what? Nine? Ten years? He'll be grown by now."

"Well, you're grown," countered Cosette, "and you've returned."

Sybill chuckled. "Yes, but there's as much a chance of me meeting Julian as there is you meeting Gavroche."

Cosette frowned. "I suppose you're right."

Sybill silently cursed herself for upsetting her sister. "Let's just get dressed," she suggested.

"Yeah," Cosette agreed. "Let's just get dressed for the town."