He'd rather lay in a grave beside his mother than live a life that was ruled by money.

A knock on the door pulled him from his thoughts, and Justin found his hands clenching on the desk beneath them.

"What," he snapped.

He wasn't in the mood for company.

The door opened and in came Selena holding two large Starbucks cups in her hand.

Justin released a relieved sigh as she approached him to hand him one of the cups. "You're a blessing."

"I know," said Selena. She took a seat on one of the red leather single person couches that were propped on the side of the desk that was opposite from his own. "How's the case?"

The male rolled his eyes at the question after taking a sip of the bitter drink— strong, just the way he needed it.

"Don't ask stupid questions, Selena."

His best friend shrugged unsympathetically. "You brought this upon yourself. You're getting what you deserve."

"My father—"

"Is a forty nine year old bastard who knows nothing aside from brutality and money and you are a grown ass man, Justin. You have your own money, your own life, yet look at you, letting the devil run your life."

"Do not speak of my father like that," Justin hissed, eyes narrowing into slits as he glared at the woman.

Selena settled down immediately. She already knew how he felt about his father. Justin thought even worse of him than she did, but that didn't mean he would ever disrespect the man like that even if he did deserve it.

"You need a break," his best friend suggested, "you're overworking yourself."

"I can't. I need to find some way to get Gregory out of the death penalty."

Selena snickered, "good luck with that," she muttered with her lips wrapped around the rim of her cup.

He glared at her again.

"The best you can get him in his situation is life in jail and you know that Justin. He might as well just get electrocuted or hung now because we all know how prisoners take matters such as rape. They aren't very fond of it. I'm sure being beaten to death will be far more torturous for him," Selena paused and looked up, manicured finger tapping against her cup, as if she was deep in thought before looking back towards Justin, "actually, now that I think of it, fight for him. I'll personally pay prisoners to kick his ass and cut him into bits like he did to those innocent women."

"I would say I'd happily help you pay, but that would be incredibly unprofessional of me."

"Yes, yes, I know," she said, "but now we're going off topic. You need a break."

"I told you, I can't—"

Selena laughed. "I think it's cute how you think this is up for discussion. You're taking a break, Justin. At least three days. Daddy deary will understand."

"You overestimate my father's kindness."

"You underestimate my determination to get you out of this office."