Needs

Sehun trailed behind the woman that had taken care of him so many years ago. He didn’t know where they were going, but Taeyeon had said she needed to talk to him about something important, so he followed without argument or hesitation.

Not that there would have been much of one if he had tried – but it wouldn’t have taken up much energy for him to turn and walk the opposite way.

Still, he walked not that far behind her, through the crowd of people that paced through the streets on their way to work or shopping or school. Everyone had something to do, somewhere to be. And yet there he was, following behind the doctor that hadn’t told him anything.

He didn’t have a place or a word to speak. He was just there. He had always just been there.

Taeyeon held the door of a small café open for the younger boy to walk through. She smiled instinctively, her eyes crinkling as her curled hair fell lightly over her shoulders and she guided the ex-patient to a table in the far corner of the less-than-packed room.

For a moment she didn’t say anything. Her eyes lingered on the people outside the window, rushing across a road before the lights changed again and the cars sped off.  Then she looked away from the busy lives that everyone was engaging in and returned to the comforting quietness of the café.

Her eyes paused on Sehun, a faint smile playing on her lips. “Luhan doesn’t get many visitors.” She spoke, hands cupped in front of her and resting on the table. Sehun was sure that if she had a mug she would be rubbing the top to keep herself busy. “I felt sorry for him for the longest time. He was in the hospital even before I joined as a trainee nurse and all that time he’s been alone. So when you came to visit him, I was happy – I really was – but…”

She paused, searching Sehun’s eyes to make sure he was paying attention to the words she was saying. “You see, Luhan is different to most patients. He was born with a disorder that stops his body from defending itself against illnesses. For a long time we’ve kept him alive with medication and surgeries, but we have reason to believe that the medicines we ‘re using are attacking his body.”

Sehun looked away from her. Why was she telling him this? Why was this information that she felt she had to tell him?

Taeyeon reached out, lightly touching his hand and bringing his attention back to her words. “Luhan doesn’t have much time left – I think he knows even though we haven’t said anything. I don’t want him to go in pain or alone or without something that he can smile about. Sehun?”

He nodded – the only thing he could do.

The doctor let out a breath of air, looking out the window once more as though searching for something. “His parents don’t visit much so Luhan doesn’t get out. I don’t think he’s ever been outside the hospital grounds. Even if you end up exposing his body to the things we’ve been trying so hard to keep him from, I’d like you to take him to see the things he hasn’t. Please fill Luhan’s last days with the happiness he’s never had.”

Sehun took a while, looking at the woman as though she had suddenly grown a second head. She removed her hand from his, the soft skin lingering a moment like the request she had made. And then she stood, her mood lifting instantly as she waved towards the front of the café and called over a familiar looking man and young looking woman.

He didn’t really pay attention to the three people sitting around him. He didn’t join in with their laughter and idle chit-chat – he couldn’t have even if he wanted to.

Sehun just sat in silence; the remainder of his thoughts floating away.

“Sehun! You’re early.”