Chapter 6

His Cowboy Temptation [ManxMan]

|Chapter 6|

The red, yellow and orange rays of sunlight were splayed over an indigo canvas. Country sunsets were a beautiful sight to behold. They showed where light and darkness met, where they merged and became one. Two opposites, for one moment, a whole.

Luca sighed as he watched the sun get lower and lower in the sky. Watching the sunset was one of his favorite things to do. He felt safe, somehow, watching the sky get painted in colors so bright. Over the past few days, however, he couldn't seem to find joy in anything. As much as he wanted to move on with his life the four days he spent with Max haunted him.

The morning after the heated discussion they had Luca went in search of Max to work things out. Or to at least not leave things on bad terms. But when he walked into the dining room he was met only with Sterling who promptly informed Luca that his grandson had left the evening before. Luca had simply nodded, turned on his heel and left.

That had been three days ago. Three days of feeling like his heart had been ripped out, of missing Max, of wanting beyond belief to see his beautiful silvery gray eyes one more time. But Max had left and there was nothing Luca could do about it. As much as he wanted the man back he couldn't force him to live in the country and he didn't want Max to be unhappy.

But his City Boy was in his dreams, in his every waking thought. There wasn't a place Luca could go that Max didn't come into his mind. Having to walk into the stable everyday was the worst. Every time he set to work on the horses bits and pieces of their first night together would pass through the barrier he had created. Max's lust filled gaze, his hungry kisses, the way he held Luca afterward as the rain scented air cooled their heated bodies. They hit him like a punch to the heart and he didn't know what to do about it anymore.

When he had first started working on Sterling Ranch he had done so with one goal in mind. Work himself dry until he had enough money to buy back Kingsley Ranch. There was no other reason for him to be here, there was no other reason for him to keep going in life. Getting his ranch back had been his sole motivation to keep living.

Now, everything had changed. Luca hadn't thought about Kingsley Ranch in days, he hadn't even put much effort into any of the jobs he performed on Sterling Ranch. All he could think about was Max and how they ended things. Luca didn't know where the outburst for Max to stay had come from, somewhere deep in his heart he supposed, but he regretted it the minute he said it. They both knew what they had was a fling and it would never go anywhere.

Luca was the one stupid enough to let his heart get involved.

Turning away from the sunset, Luca headed into the stable. He paused when he reached Shadows stall and stared at the horse. He had been awfully quiet and calm the last few days, Luca sensed he was sad his master was gone. Shadow poked his head out of the stall and neighed at Luca. Not angrily, as usual, but a more sullen neigh. Luca gave him a sad smile, reaching into his pocket he pulled out a sugar cube and held it up for the stallion. A wet tongue met Luca's palm as Shadow took the treat.

Running his hand softly up Shadow's snout Luca consoled him, "You miss him don't you, buddy?" Shadow blew a puff of air out, "Yeah, I know how you feel."

Letting his hand drop from Shadows snout he continued walking. Luca's eyes fell on the empty stall next to Shadow's and he felt like he was punched in the gut. Memories of the pleasure he had received and the tenderness with which Max touched him filled his mind again and he felt a sting in his eyes. Taking a deep breath Luca willed himself to keep his composure. Nothing would come of his tears, he knew that, nothing but more pain.