;significance;

2:46 PM 

My head starts spinning the moment his name leaves my lips. My vision blurs, and my throat goes dry. 

"Corinne? Are you alright?" George asks hesitantly, an uncomfortable tone to his voice. His discomfort is made even more clear as he awkwardly shifts the bag he's holding from his left shoulder to his right.

No. I'm not. In fact, I'm every word that means the exact opposite of 'alright'. How, out of every apartment complex in Brooklyn, did I manage to move into the same one as George fucking Miller? How did I manage to move into the same building that is inhabited by the man who gave me everything and then took it away just as quickly? How did I manage to end up running into the same stupid boy I thought I had seen the last of four long years ago?

I don't say that, though. Instead, I fake a smile and stand up straight. "I'm doing just fine, George, and yourself?" I say as politely as I can, though I want to throw a million and one insults at him.

He winces when I call him George. "You know I don't like when you call me that." It's true, I know he loathes it. That's why I said it. Dumbass. "You know I'd rather you call me Joji." Not going to happen. 

"I'd rather not, George, but thanks for the offer." I say rather coldly, causing him to wince again.

"Why are you in New York, Corinne?" He asks me softly.

'I was wondering the same about you.' I think through gritted teeth. I release a quick, short breath before responding. "Broadway." I say simply.

"Of course." George replies, nodding. He lifts a hand up to his ear, tugging at an earring that I hadn't noticed before. "I should've known that you'd find your way to New York sooner or later. You can't get far in Ojai."

"Yeah." I say awkwardly. I drop the clothes from my arms back into my suitcase, latching it shut. "I should go." I start to walk past him, but he grabs my wrist gently.

"Corinne, wait." He says. I swivel around, my patience wearing thin.

"What do you want, George?" I sigh. Whatever it is, it can't be all that bad.

"I want to explain why I left."

No. Nope. I was wrong. It is bad and I don't want to hear it. I feel my eyes start to brim with unwanted tears and I'm thankful for my hair hanging loosely near my eyes so he can't see my tears.

"No, George."

"Just, like, thirty minutes of your time." He says quickly. I brush my eyes with the sleeve of my coat, then look up at him. "Please." He whispers, his soft brown eyes pleading with me. 

Looking at him, I feel my narrowed eyebrows slowly revert back to their normal state, and I break. "Fine. Thirty minutes. That's it. George." I say, stepping forward a bit to my apartment, pushing the key into the lock and turning it. I turn back to George, raising my eyebrow as if to ask, "Is that understood?"

He nods his head, a sad smile on his lips. "Thirty minutes. Stop by my apartment when you can. I'll explain everything." He gestures toward the door he'd walked out of earlier, which evidently, is located directly across from mine. Amazing.

"Okay, George." I say, pushing open my door.

"Corinne?" George asks, and I feel my stomach jump at the sound of my name leaving his lips. 

I look behind me back at him one last time, gripping the doorframe. He's already back at his door, black bag in hand, one foot in his apartment.

"I'm so sorry." He says so softly that I can barely hear it, before he disappears into his aprtment, closing the door swiftly and quietly.

-------

Okay hello so I'm probably going to update every day unless I'm busy, just a forewarning!!

Song - Stupid Boy (Cassadee Pope)