Things became slightly easier when my powers first manifested. Since my ability is somewhat like the power of suggestion, I could coax Damien back to sleep whenever he appeared. 

Well, the good news lasted till Ethan reached Grade 9, that's when all hell broke loose. Although Dad and I already had an inkling that he was holding onto a special ability, since he had mum's psychometry powers and that phenotype changing abilities, we didn't think that he could get more of them. Or that he would use it against us. 

As time passed, Damien's mastery of his abilities only grew, and he became more aggressive. He started going after other ability wielders, like what he did with Steve Maddens. Dad and I can't stop him, and we don't know what he's after. 

Perhaps that would change now.  

During the whole conversation earlier, Ethan's fingers looked ready to rip out the couch and he'd been gritting his teeth the entire time he sat there. Plus his left iris was a tell tale sign. It must've been too much for him to handle. 

When Ethan finally gave in, Dad and I looked at each other, the same question reflected in our eyes. How would things change now that Ethan was in the picture? A second later, he took a sharp intake of breath and sat up, causing Dad and I to take a customary step back from him. Damien doesn't look very energetic today. 

He sat up straighter and frowned. Both irises were completely blue now. 

When Dad moves forward closer to him, Damien backed away unconsciously. I hope Dad doesn't forget that he'd forced him to shift before. "Is Ethan alright?"

My jaw dropped when he nodded at Dad. That's the meekest thing I've seen him done thus far. The first thing he always does is to bolt out of the house, or kick me when I try to stop him. 

"We haven't had a proper conversation like this before," Dad says soothingly. Damien doesn't reply. He pulled his other knee up to himself and kept a guarded expression. 

"Are you feeling alright?"  

For a moment, uncertainty clouded his eyes, but gave the briefest of a nod.

Dad looks up at me, a few wrinkles creasing, I could feel his anxiety seeping through, and the strangest part was, Damien was exuding the same emotion. 

"What are you so nervous about?" I stepped closer to them. Damien looks at me warily. "You are probably reading Ethan's emotions right now." 

"...What?"

"Does that mean Ethan is co-conscious.....is with you right now?" Dad asks. 

"Don't say more than what is needed, James," Damien says warningly. Dad doesn't look offended in the least. Instead, he pull out a chair so that he can sit comfortably facing Damien. 

"Why do you want to gather those powers?"

"Why do you want to know?" he answered coolly. I'm glad I'm standing behind Dad, so he can't see my face blackened with rage. Of course, the main person I'm directing my rage at noticed it immediately. 

"I'm your father, Damien. Of course I want to protect Ethan as much as you do." 

He looks away uncomfortably again. "Put me to sleep, do whatever you want." 

He's avoiding the question altogether, it's disorientating. Also, he has never voluntarily offered himself up in this docile manner. 

"Why do you need these powers? Are you going after those people randomly? Don't you know your actions are putting Ethan in more danger?" Dad asks more insistently. I could see Damien practically perspiring under the weight of our questioning. After a long silent minute, he said: "You put trackers on me, so you should know," he said. "I won't put Ethan in danger. Never."