The Painting

A casual day in the TARDIS; no life-threatening trips to decaying planets or dangerous exploration of newly born planets. Just the Doctor and Clara in the TARDIS. Clara had requested it. Sometimes she enjoyed the domestic life, especially when it was shared with the Doctor. Clara had spent the day reading in the dimly lit library, a cup of elderflower and lemon tea at hand, skimming through a plethora of books the Doctor possessed that she had never heard of. Meanwhile, the Doctor had fidgeted with TARDIS functions, occasionally moving from room to room.

Tiring of reading, Clara retired her book to go seek her Doctor. After a few minutes of aimlessly wandering the corridors, Clara came across an opened door with music playing faintly inside. She approached the room, and leaned against the door frame. A smile spread across her face as she watched the Doctor wander around the room; a room filled top to bottom with paintings, she noticed.

"Found ya," Clara said softly.

The Doctor turned his head and returned a smile, holding out his hand to invite her to join him.

Clara walked to his side, taking his hand in hers and resting it at her side. They stood admiring a wall of portraits, some faces she recognized, Napoleon Bonaparte, Marilyn Monroe, and a few faces she couldn't name.

As if he could read her mind (and he could, touch telepathy, mind you) the Doctor began pointing to framed individuals, naming them and briefly describing their importance to him.

Clara's eyes wandered more along the expansive wall until she focused on a beautifully detailed portrait of a young woman she thought she recognized.

"Doctor?" she asked, interrupting his explanation of a previous portrait. "That painting there," she pointed, "Who is she? She looks oddly familiar. She's absolutely breathtaking, looks like a model."

The Doctor smiled.

"Her name is Amy. A previous companion, I've mentioned her, I don't think you've seen a picture of her before?"

"No, this is the first time I believe..." Clara trailed off, moving closer to inspect the portrait, "The paint itself, though, it's just, beautiful. It's perfectly matched to every part of her body. And how detailed she is! It looks as if it were a picture, not a painting."

"Ah. That would be the painting techniques of the people of Kaguya. Their appreciation for art and beauty is the center of their culture. I took Amy there once, and she was the center of attention. Bright red hair is not a daily sight to behold. A Kaguyan was quick to offer to paint her. Took him 30 minutes flat to do the whole thing. It's incredibly, really," The Doctor reminisced.

Clara continued to study the painting in awe, as the Doctor watched her in amusement.

"Would you like to go to Kaguya?" he offered.

Clara whipped around, her eyes wide with childlike excitement, and she bit her lip as she smiled and nodded.

The Doctor took her hand again and they both ran to the control room, both ready for another adventure.

~
The TARDIS groaned as they landed on Kaguya, Clara already heading straight for the door.

"Clara, wait!" The Doctor said, stopping her. "I'll warn you, Kaguya is an extremely hot planet; desert terrain. Nothing you won't be able to handle, but I highly suggest you change for the occasion. You know, shorts, a dress, something so you don't overheat. I'll be changing too."

Clara nodded and dashed off to her room, as the Doctor headed to his.

A few minutes later, both emerged and met in the control room, clad in their summer attire.