"What's Valentine's Day?"

Savannah's question came just as Austin strolled into the kitchen, dressed in his usual outfit of jeans and a loose t-shirt, giving no indication that he'd considered other clothing options. Stopping behind the five year old's chair, he quickly kissed her on top of the head as a morning greeting before taking his seat at the table and reaching over for the box of Cheerios.

Jace held in a laugh because Austin was completely unaware that Savannah had let out his little secret and set his gaze on his daughter, reaching out with his thumb to wipe away a line of milk that had dribbled down her chin. "Valentine's Day is a holiday where people tell each other how much they love each other."

"They don't love each other every day?" she asked, wide eyed and befuddled because she couldn't remember a day when her father and uncles hadn't told her they loved her at least three times each. She wasn't really old enough to fully understand what it meant, but she knew it made her feel warm and happy and safe.

"No, they do," Jace quickly replied. "Today's just a day where they show it."

"Show?" She tilted her head to the side, causing one of her pigtails to fall against her cheek.

He was doing a horrible job of explaining, so he was grateful when Austin piped up.

"They give each other things," he said, "Like presents. To show that they love the other person."

She still looked utterly confused and the boys looked at each, at a complete loss for words at how to make the situation better, but a quick glance at their phones for the time made them realize it was a conversation that had to be finished later.

"You guys gotta get going," Liam said after checking his phone.

The boys had been itching to work with music producer Rocky Hollis for months and they'd recently found out that he was going to be in Sydney for a short period of time, so they'd jumped on the chance to go in for couple writing sessions. Jace and Austin were booked to work with him today, while Ryan and Liam would go tomorrow.

"Right," Jace nodded, taking one last bite of his cereal before picking up his and Savannah's now empty bowl. "Sav, baby, can you go get ready for school? Uncle Liam is gonna take you."

Nodding, she wiggled her little feet to the floor and slipped out of her chair, skipping out of the room and up the stairs to get her things. She'd only recently started school, an experience that was emotional for all of them as they had grown so accustomed to having her around all the time and Jace knew it was only the start of her journey to becoming a grown up.

She absolutely loved it, though, and she'd come home in the afternoons with her arms full of crafts they'd made in art class and chatter on about the books her teacher read them and the friends she'd made, and he'd let out a sigh of relief at the knowledge that it was going well.

The boys cleared the table and cleaned up the kitchen as much as they could before going to their rooms to get ready for the day. Jace had just finished the last check of his hair and shoved his wallet and phone into the pockets of his jeans when Savannah wandered into his room, ready to go in her yellow sundress, Velcro strapped white sneakers, and the straps of her pink plastic backpack securely hitched on her shoulders, an ensemble that she and Liam had chosen together that morning.

"Ready!" She smiled up at him brightly when he emerged from the bathroom.

"You look very beautiful, Miss Savannah," he said, reaching down to pick her up when she extended her arms, easily bringing her up to his hip, where her small legs immediately locked against his waist.