Lilies&You

I practically ran down the stairs when my parents shouted to tell me I had mail. I hadn't ordered anything so someone must've sent me something, hopefully not bills that needed paying. As I strode into the dining room I saw a huge bouquet of Madonna lilies. "Are they for me"? I asked in disbelief. My parents both nodded, "Yep", my dad answered. I looked at them both and shook my head, showing that I hadn't been expecting this. I stared at the flowers again. "They're my favourite", I said quietly. As I walked up to the bouquet, I saw a little card tucked in between the stems. I picked it out and read it in my head. "Saw them and thought of you, sweetest scent there is". That's all it said, but my mind instantly wandered back in time, to a memory I had tucked away for my pleasure only. A small moment I'd never shared with anyone other than him. I smiled, "Can I put them in my room"? I asked, looking at my mother, who I thought might protest. She nodded, "Well they are for you". I noticed how she was admiring them, she loved them too. "Actually, I'll leave them here". "They'll get more light that way". "That's probably a better idea", she replied happily. I smiled to myself again, "Who are they from"? My dad asked. "I'm not sure", I paused. "But I think they're from a friend". He raised his eyebrows, "just a friend"? I nodded, my smile growing wider at his curiosity. "They sure spent a lot of money on those, what's the occasion"? I thought for a moment. "There is no occasion". We were in the middle of May, I was home for a couple of weeks, but that was the only time I could get off work; there wasn't really a particular occasion other than I had been missing home.
That night, I was strolling around a popular bar in the city. My friends and I had decided to meet up for drinks and some dancing, since we hadn't seen each other in a few months. As I made my way to the bar, I heard someone call my name and turned around. There he was, the one who had popped into my head that very morning. "Asher", I said softly. He smiled sheepishly, "I thought you weren't gonna hear me, and I'd be left looking stupid". I smiled, "Good thing I did then". He nodded, "How've you been"? "Good"! I said enthusiastically. "I'm home from work and it's been really nice to be back here for a little while". He nodded, "You know what, I completely understand". "We spent so long wanting to get away from this place, now I actually kind of miss it sometimes". I nodded, listening intently. Suddenly Asher took a deep breath and sighed, "Anyway, enough with the sentimental talk, let's enjoy the night"! I smiled, sort of sad because I actually enjoyed the deeper conversation. "I'm getting a drink, want to join"? I asked him. "I do", he said, linking arms with me and leading the way to the bar. I started to melt into him at the contact, missing being a teenager a little bit. "You feel like home" I thought, but of course you wouldn't have known because I was highly experienced in hiding my feelings by now. "I'll take a vodka and coke please", he told the barman when our turn came. "And a Malibu and coke for me please", I added. The barman said, "of course", winking at me. I smiled politely and turned to Asher when he left, who was looking at me with raised eyebrows. "It makes me so uncomfortable when they do that". "Frequent occurrence"? He said, seemingly amused. "Barely", I replied shyly. Asher chuckled, moving closer to me slightly. I looked at him for a moment, his big eyes catching mine and making me smile again. "Here you go beautiful", the barman said, handing me my drink. Asher cleared his throat, causing the barman to look over at him and give him a death glare, as if I wasn't standing right there watching. Quickly, the barman handed over the vodka and coke, spilling a bit as he did. "Thanks mate", Ash muttered. He linked arms with me again and lead me back into the centre of the room. "Where are your friends"? He asked. "Oh so you just assume I have friends", I said faking offence. He chuckled, "Nah you're right, don't know what I was thinking even asking you to be honest". I gave him my best scowl, "Well played". He winked, "You know I'm good at this babe". Then something caught his attention, "Is that your table over there"? He nodded towards my friends. "Yeah that's them", I said cheerfully. "You wanna come sit with us"? He pulled a face. "What"? I asked genuinely. "I don't think they'd like that". I frowned, "And why not"? He cleared his throat again, showing his nerves. "Babe, last time we saw each other...well they probably don't think very highly of me". I smiled softly, "It takes two people, you know". He looked at me intently. "Come on", I said, taking his hand and pulling him along with me. He gripped my hand tighter, and I smiled as I opened my mouth to announce him to my friends.