"Callie Daniels, you MUST make your choice, what say ye? Vampire, Ghost or Reaper?"

     No! No no no no no.  This cant be happening to me.  I closed my eyes and silently prayed I would make the right decision.  The weighted silence in the room was enough to drive a person crazy.  Slowly a hazy picture seemed to form in my mind, becoming clearer with each passing second of the clock.  It was as if someone upstairs was actually listening and beautiful meadow green eyes swam around my thoughts.  Brown hair, alabaster skin followed by brown eyes, buzzed hair and bronzed skin.  A shadow of a smile crept across my lips as the images flashed through my mind and I knew in my bones which form I would choose. 

     I opened my eyes with a new determination and spoke the word that would change my life forever.

     "Reaper."

     The large barn doors opened as soon as the last syllable passed my lips and in strode Link and Ripley.  Relief washed over me as I took in their appearance.  They both wore the same smugly knowing look on their faces, as if they knew what my choice would be all along.  A strange urge to rush forward and hug them both had me pivoting in their direction, but the sound of Chalice's deep raspy voice had me spinning back to face him.

      "You have chosen to take the form of a Reaper.  In doing so you will need to learn and master the art of retrieving souls, complete a mission in which you retrieve a soul of your own accord, and finally you must prove that you are mentally able to obtain solace and assuage any feelings of pity or guilt that may attach themselves to what is left of the human imprint on your soul. Once these tasks are complete, the form of the Reaper shall be eternally yours.  A reminder, Miss. Daniels, that should you be unable to complete the duty of taking a soul, then the soul of one Brian McDougal, which is being held as collateral, will be sentenced to dwell in eternal damnation and his life shall be deemed forfeit."

     "You will begin your training immediately upon your agreement of the aforementioned stipulations. Do you understand and accept the tasks that I have laid out before you?  If you accept then repeat after me, 'I Callie Daniels, do hereby agree to all tasks and conditions'."

     I looked to Ripley and Link, both gave slight nods of approval, Ripley showing signs of that boyish smile hiding beneath his indifferent mask, and with their encouragement I made the agreement.

     "Yes, I Callie Daniels, do hereby agree to all tasks and conditions."

     "Then let it be known that from today forward Callie Daniels shall be in the care and employ of the Reapers.  Upon completion of the steps set forth in the guidelines previously stated, under the tutorage of Reapers Lincoln Halcott and Ripley Cord, the form of Reaper shall be hers eternally."

     If I was expecting pomp and circumstance then I would have been sorely disappointed.  A hum filled the air as conversations began again and the attention was no longer aimed in my direction.   Link and Ripley approached me with guarded smiles.

      As I watched them approach, a bit of my fears seemed to fade away.  A lightness was starting to chip away at the dark and I felt that, with these two men on my side, I just might have the strength to do what lied ahead.

      Locking eyes with Ripley I felt a wide smile spread across my face as Chalice's words rang through my mind and then I was laughing and boy did it feel good to laugh.  They looked at each other as they came to a stop before me.

      Ripley eyed me cautiously as if he thought I had lost my mind and it only made me laugh harder, hell maybe I had lost my mind, but I just kept replaying those two words that my brain latched onto over and over. "Are you alright Callie?" his concern sobered me up a little bit and I looked up into his eyes and nodded. "Why are you laughing?" he asked a slight bit of relief laced his tone.

      "I'm sorry, it's just...is your name actually Ripley Cord?"  He sighed and shook his head as if my question was one he had heard hundreds of times before.  "Yes that is my real name." 

     My laughter started again, I knew it was really the most ridiculous thought and it wasn't even THAT funny, but I just couldn't let it go, "So you also go by Rip?"  He nodded and tried to seem annoyed, but the crinkle around his eyes gave his act away.  "So then you are Rip Cord? Like RIPCORD!"  Rip only shook his head and ran his hand over his face as Link's laughter joined mine.

     "I'm glad my name amuses you so."

     Link reached out and tousled my hair as his laughter died down, "So, you're going to be a Reaper."

     Well thanks Link, way to kill a good mood,  I thought as my giggles halted. "What happens now?"  I asked looking between the two.

     Ripley stepped closer, threw his arm over my shoulder and replied with a wink, "Now? We eat, then we train."