Chapter 4

Jason scowled at the roaring fire in the hearth, slapped one hand on the mantel and rubbed his fingers over the polished wood. His gaze locked on the flames, he told himself that if he could, he’d burn the month of December from the calendar. Just like the flames in the electric fireplace in his office, wishes like that just were not real and never would be.

He had seen the bottom of enough bottles over the years to know that nothing could erase such nightmares.

No matter how much he wish he could pretend this haunting month didn't exist, he just couldn't shake the reality. Guilt, anger, sadness, heartbreak, we're only few of the emotions he had to battle.

He glanced around the room, this house is what his twin had started calling his personal hell. The house he had living in with his wife and daughter. Everything still the same as they had left it that night before they had gone out. The only thing touched had been the kitchen when the foul smell had threatened to stifle him. His mother had hired someone to come over every week for two days each week to wash, cook and dust. Struck orders had been given that nothing in the bedrooms nor the playroom should be moved.

He remembered how he had yelled at the woman and ordered her out when he had come on to see her trying to pick up a baby doll from the ground where his daughter had left it that day. His mother had called him for weeks after begging him to reconsider firing the woman. He had finally given in but noticed the woman only came by on days he wasn't home. Which worked well for him.

Jason pushed away from the mantel and went to his phone, repeating what had become his pattern for the past three days.

“Mother”. He greeted then listened has she related whatever information Sebastian had left after his latest checkups with his mother's newly acquired house guest.

Jason could see that his mother was quickly becoming drawn to the young woman. The young woman that he had made sure to have a background check done on.

Rachel Vivianna Devonté, a woman with a squeaky clean past. Too clean for a woman in her position, so he had urged his PI to dig some more. Sure enough some of the information about this woman had been buried. Information that connected her to a powerful husband,which leads him to wonder. How can this woman be wife to such a rich man yet she appears to be homeless.

He planned to get the answers to these questions, especially since his mother had welcomed the woman to stay for a while. How long a while is he wasn't sure.

He sighed when his mother invited him to dinner, insisting that their left evening had been cut short. He knew though that is was all a rouse, his family's way of trying to keep him in the land of the living so to speak.

“How does seven work for you?” he asked finally giving in.

Before he could object his mother hung up on him telling him that herself and Rachel will be happy for company tonight.

Jason thought about making an excuse as to why he couldn't go to dinner but knew he couldn't bring himself to disappoint his mother anymore than he already had.

An hour later he decided he had made a mistake in not staying home. His mother sang Rachel's praises nonstop, it seems the woman was capable of everything but walking in water, though the jury was still out on that front.

“So Jason your mom tells me you're into computer gaming”.

Jason tensed and glanced at his mother before looking back at his plate.

“Yes”. He finally replied

His mother's expression was urging him to say more but he ignored it.

“Are you working on anything new?” Rachel asked

“No” he replied pinning her with a stare that said butt out.

“You're not very talkative” she commented with a smile.

“Something I can't say about you”. He replied grumpily.

“Jason!” his mother hissed at him.

“Sorry” he said not sounding at all like he is.

“Excuse me, I'd like to go for a walk in the garden before it gets later. Thank you for dinner Millicent, Jason is was…”.

Jason watched as she pursed her lips and looked at him before walking away from the table. He was as equally amused as he was offended. So the tiny woman had a bit of fire in her, interesting.

“You couldn't have been nicer to her?” his mother asked shaking her head.

“I was nice to her” he argued

“You barely said a sentence and the full one you manage to get out was to offend the poor girl” his mother complained

“She's nosey” he grumbled

“She is no such thing!” Millicent defended “She is a nice young woman and you were rude”.

“Why are you defending her? And how long is she going to be here?” he questioned.

“As long as I want her to be. Now go find her and apologize” his mother ordered.

“I don't think so” he replied reaching for the champagne bottle but his mother slapped his hand before he could reach it.

“You've had too much already and I won't be allowing you to drive home tonight and you will go find Rachel and apologize!” she demanded

“Mother…”

“Jason Isaac Ronaldi, don't you disobey me!”

Jason sighed and pushed away from the table. “Fine”.

“An do be nice about it sweetheart, please. I'll have Milly make up your room for you”.

He knew better than to argue when his mother was in her mood. Seems he was spending the night and giving an apology. Oh the joy.

He found her in the garden, her light pink dress highlighted by the moonlight so she wasn't hard to find.

He watched her before approaching, she was talking to her baby bump. Well it sounded more like she was singing a lullaby. She wasn't the best of singers but her voice was soothing.

A light breeze whipped her hair across her face a giggle escaped her lips as she brushed her hair away from her nose.

He swallowed, how can she be this happy when clearly life was not the way she wanted. It seems they could add crazy to her list.

“My mother sent me to find you”. He said stepping closer.

When she didn't turn to look his way or seen surprised he was there he realized she must have been aware of his presence all along.

“You found me”. She said lifting her face to the sky as the wind played with her hair.

Jason grit his teeth, something about this woman made him uneasy. At first he told himself it was her striking beauty but he knew he was more than that. He shook the thought away before it could fully form in his mind.

“She said I wasn't very nice to you tonight”. He continued to which she only shrugged.

Seems she wasn't  going to make this easy for him.

“Look I'm sorry I was… rude. I hope you will… look, accept my apology alright?” he said in a demanding tone that had her finally turning to look at him.

“Are you asking or telling me?” she asked lifting a brow.

“Um, asking?” he said a bit confused.

She looked at him for a few seconds too long before she walked by him and said “I'll think about it”.

His mouth fell open at that as he watched her stroll back to the house.