Prologue

Summer, four years ago.

Dr. Cole Easton hated parties, especially parties that he knew he was obligated to attend. His department was dependent upon grants and donations to survive. Without them, he couldn't do the research that was required to keep the school above all of its competitors. He knew one of the reasons the Anthropology department at the University was so successful was because it was a hands-on program, and the hands-on took money. It took a lot of money, which meant that it was vital that he attend some of the more affluent parties in his social circle so that he could ask for donations. It was why he was so secure in his job, not only was he good at teaching, but he was also good at asking for money.

And money was the only reason he had attended Stanley Mitchell's Anniversary party. The man had hinted at the possibility of donating to the University, and they needed the money to fund a summer dig in the desert. Stanley had assured him that the best time to talk would be at the party.

However, after a day spent at the Mitchells' house, and well into the party, the possibility of a donation still hadn't been discussed. Instead, Mitchell's daughters were introduced to him. It was nothing new to Cole. He came from a very distinguished and wealthy family, and parents were always introducing their daughters to him in hopes of a romance blossoming, but Cole had learned the hard way that money was not a good motivator for any relationship.

Typically, he took it all in stride, but this time he was angry. He had had high hopes for receiving the money, but he had the distinct feeling that the only way he would get it was if he were to choose one of Stanly's daughters, and the entire situation was made worse by the fact that one of them was his student.

Sydney Mitchell had been a stellar student for the last year; she was inquisitive and caught on quickly, she wasn't shy about speaking out, and it was evident that she had a keen sense of humor. What he hadn't realized was that she was Stanley Mitchell's daughter. If he had known it he would have avoided the man altogether.

It disheartened him that a father was trying to marry off his daughters so young. Sydney couldn't be more than twenty and Angel, her sister, had to be even younger. In his experience, the only reason for introducing girls that young to the men in his social class was because the parents were in a financial crisis and needed some capital rather quickly, and an arranged marriage might be a way of obtaining that capital.

Cole couldn't help but compare the two sisters as he remembered the awkward introduction that Stanley had arranged. Angel was the more attractive of the two and looked, as her name suggested, like an angel, but her personality was young, and she seemed to have a constant pout on her face. Sydney, on the other hand, was fairly plain. He had also found it odd that she had presented herself differently with her family then she had in class, she had seemed almost meek, and the Sydney in his class had been anything but meek.

He pushed his thoughts of the young girls aside. He would have to begin again in the search for another source of income for the department, he took a deep breath and let go of his disappointment.

Now, having realized that his continued appearance at the party was no longer needed, he still had that evening and the next morning to get through, having agreed to stay the night after the party. He thought he had seen a pool house on his earlier tour of the grounds and that seemed to him like the perfect way to relieve some of his pent-up stress. A round of laps and then he would retire to his room for the evening.

*******

Sydney was tired, she was tired of the lecturing from her parents, she was tired of acting a part and playing nice with her parents' friends, and she was tired of the heat. What she needed was some time in the pool. It was well after midnight, and the party was winding down, so she could sneak off to the other side of the estate and no one would be the wiser.