Chapter 15- Back Together

John

    As soon as I enter the palace gate, I could tell something was off. Something was missing but I couldn’t put to and to together. Ignoring the feeling I rode straight to the stables. When I enter the stables a stable boy came up to take Patch and it took me a minute to realize exactly who it was. He is Ella’s friend who warned her when the queen was coming.

    Apparently he realized right away who I was because he spoke to me, “She is out back.”

    “Thank you.” I stated and just as I turned he grabbed my arm.

    I turned to face him and he look really upset. “You hurt her and you will feel my wrath. Understand?”

    “I would never hurt her.” I said in all seriousness. “What is your name?”

    He let go of my arm and reached his hand out to me and I gladely took it. I wasn’t upset he grabbed me, I was more happy that he was looking out for Ella. “My name is James and I already know yours, John. Ella told me.”

    “Nice to meet you James but I must go now.” and without waiting for him to answer I took out toward the back of the stables.

    I walked for awhile and when I was about to give up that she was no longer out here, I heard soft crying under a tree not too far away. I finally saw a girl with her dress pulled up to her face making her dark ringed hair drape around her. The worst part was that she was crying. This reminds me of the day I found out she was the princess. She was sitting her just like this crying to herself. I reach near her “Ella?”

    Her head popped out of it’s hiding spot right away and revealed a tear stained red face. Ella’s golden eyes stared me down for a minute before she jumped of she ground and into my arms. I hesitated at first but wrapped my arms around her waist and inhaled her sweet scent. She tightened her arms around my neck and sobbed openly. I have honestly never dealt with a crying girl before except for the last time I found Ella crying out here. I hate seeing her cry and from now on I vow to never let her cry alone without me again. She could tell me anything and now I hope she realizes I will always be here for her.

    I picked Ella off the ground and walked over to the nearest tree. With my back to the tree I slipped one off my arms down to the back of her knees and scooped her up then I settled down so I sat at the bottom of the tree and she was on my lap.

    I don’t know how long we sat there before Ella seemed to cry herself out. When she had finally settled I took the time to speak, “Better?”

    “No.” she mumbled into my shoulder.

    “Please tell me what's wrong Ella. Please.” I asked softly.

    Instead of answering me she changed the subject. “You’re not mad at me?”

    “Why would I be upset with you?”

    “Because I am the princess and I didn’t tell you. I am sorry John. I’m so sorry.” she said quietly.

    I laughed a little and that caused her to pull back and look at me as if I had lost my mind. I sobered up my smile before I explained myself, “Ella do you remember that little boy you were tell me about? The little boy with his father.” she nodded. “Well I’m kind of a servant of that family.”

    She gasp “You not a sir?”.

    This is so confusing. “Sort of.”

    “John just explain this to me.” she pouted.