Chapter Sixteen

Chapter 16

Gifts from Alice

The relentless knocking filled me with dread and anxiety.  A shiver of fear and paranoia shot up my spine like electricity through water, and I found myself on high alert.  Who was standing outside on the Denali’s doorstep?  Carlisle?  … Or Edward?

The thought of seeing the backstabber filled me with utter revulsion, and my vision became red hot.  For half a second, I begged whatever god was listening for it to be Edward on the opposite side of the door.  But I wouldn’t kill him -- as soon as I saw him, I would rip him limb from limb and scatter his body parts to the four corners of the Earth.  His head, however, I would keep locked away, where I would be able to pull it out occasionally and laugh at his decrepit appearance.  Before I could register what was happening, I was out the door and heading towards the front part of the house.

Losing control was a surreal experience—I was watching everything but had no control over my own actions.  Deep inside, I knew that I shouldstop and think about what I was doing, that I could very well hurt someone.  However, another side of me said that it was irrelevant.

Rounding the corner of the hallway, I spied the front door and launched myself towards the wooden surface, ready to fight whoever was on the other side.  As I sailed through the air, I was suddenly caught midair and held tightly around my waist. 

I snarled, frustrated that something was inhibiting my quest for revenge, and turned my eyes down.  My angry glare was immediately met by a kind pair of darkened amber eyes, set into very strong features.  As I growled ferociously, the logical part of my mind was busy trying to decipher the familiarity of this vampire.

“It’s okay, Bells,” the strong vampire said with a hint of strain in his voice, smirking at me.

Emmett.

I stopped struggling as memories of my brother-in-law flourished in my mind, and I allowed myself to smile in return.  However, the past few seconds quickly caught up with me,  and, horrified with my actions, I anxiously tried to kick away from Emmett.

“I need to get out of here,” I moaned as I fought against Emmett’s strong grasp, forcing a groan from his lips.  My face fell even more as I realized that I was inadvertently hurting him by struggling.  “Oh my God, I’m so sorry Emmett.”

“It’s no problem, Bella,” he said and laughed heartily.  “I got your back.”

“I need air,” I said anxiously as I felt the agitation threatening to overwhelm me.  The knocking at the front door was growing more persistent, and I didn’t want to be there when the Denalis answered it, just in case it was someone I didn’t wish to see. 

Emmett nodded and, with cautious movements, he lifted me in his arms and carried me towards the back of the house.  I leaned back against Emmett’s chest, feeling safe and secure, but cringed as Esme and Rosalie came into view.

“Oh goodness, Bella!” Esme exclaimed and rushed forward, looking more worried than ever.  “Are you all right?  I’m so sorry, we should have had a better grip on you.”

“I’m fine,” I mumbled with a chagrined smile.  “Emmett helped me.”

“That’s what I’m here for,” Emmett remarked triumphantly and quickly added, “I’m taking Bella outside.”

“I’ll come with you,” Rosalie said with a soft expression, which confused me, especially since she had been rather cross with my previous newborn outbursts.  However, as we moved towards the backdoor, Rosalie ghosted beside Emmett in complete silence.