Jade doesn't rush. 

At least, A.J. knew that he wouldn't rush for him. They barely knew each other and Jade had given him up after only a day or so. Licking his dry lips, A.J. grabbed the door handle and turned it, then pulled it back with an awkward smile on his face. 

"Hello," he said, hiding partially behind the door as Jade tried to run his eyes over him. 

When it was clear that he wouldn't move, Jade ducked inside, a suitcase in one hand which he set down once A.J. closed the door. 

"I brought your things." Jade finally said when A.J. silently closed the door and turned, staring at the suitcase, then looking up, no higher than Jade's chest. 

"Thank you, sir." He replied. There was nothing after that, however, and the air soon became tense and awkward. 

"Hey Jade. Thanks for bringing over A.J.'s clothing, we appreciate it." Adam said as he came around the corner, taking the handle of the suitcase before beginning to roll it to the edge of the hal.

A.J., unsure of what to do, hurried to follow after him. He could hear Jade's footsteps behind him, too, but didn't stop and turn around until he was next to Adam and the man's attention had turned to Jade. 

"We were just having breakfast, if you'd like a late meal? I made plenty." He offered. A.J. was almost positive that Jade would decline, as he seemed like he would be picky with his food, and who cooked it, but to his surprise, the man gave Adam a smile and nodded. 

"I actually haven't eaten yet, so yes, please. I'd appreciate some breakfast." 

Adam pulled up an extra chair at the small table in the kitchen, then took a seat, nodding for Jade to take the new one as A.J. awkwardly slipped into the other. He noticed almost right away that Jade was eating slowly, and every few moments he glanced sideways at him. 

After about five minutes, and barely three bites from his breakfast, A.J. carefully slipped from his chair to drop to his knees next to Jade's chair. He saw the man's hand flinch at his side, but when he just ducked his head and waited, Jade's hand eventually settled atop his hair. 

"I actually have something I need to tend to. It could wait until later, but..." Adam said, looking from Jade down to A.J.. "Would it be alright if Jade takes you to your interview? As he has off this afternoon, I don't think it would be an issue?" He stated, returning his attention to Jade with a raised eyebrow. 

Jade's hand tensed in his hair for a moment, and A.J. considered just telling them that he could walk there, or just call and cancel. He knew that both men had lives outside of helping him, and didn't want to cause either any trouble. 

"That will be fine. When is your interview, A.J.?" Jade asked as he looked down at him. 

A.J. leaned his head against Jade's leg as he replied quietly. "I need to be there in about an hour and a half." 

"Alright. Come up here, please." Jade said, patting his leg. 

A.J. hurried to do as told, though he was careful to not accidentally touch the man with his hands as he slid onto his knee. Jade reached around him silently, pulling his plate closer to his own, then offering A.J. the fork. 

"Eat." He said as A.J. took the fork. 

It was easier to eat as Jade and Adam began to converse, leaving A.J. to his breakfast. Jade picked at his own food every few moments, but he was very careful not to touch A.J. besides where his left arm gently wound around A.J.'s waist. 

It took A.J. about ten minutes to finish off his entire plate of food. He hadn't thought that it was possible, but he had been a lot hungrier than he'd originally thought. Jade even slid a half of one of his pancakes onto A.J.'s plate while he spoke with Adam. A.J. had eaten it, too, and now he was completely stuffed. 

"Alright, let's get you dressed and ready to go." Jade said as he stood, easily lifting A.J. to his feet before turning toward the hall. A.J. hurried after him. They only stopped to grab the suitcase they'd left in the hall and bring it to his room. 

Jade eyed the space for a minute before turning to face A.J.. "Alright, let's see." He said as his eyes ran over A.J., then he turned to the suitcase he'd tossed up onto the bed and opened it. It only took him a few moments to locate a pair of pants he liked, and another minute before a nice shirt joined it. 

"Try these on," he said as he turned and offered them to A.J.. 

The thought to tell him that he was already dressed decently well, and didn't need help picking out his clothing, came to mind. At nearly the same time, however, A.J. found himself taking the clothing with a bowed head and a quiet "Yes sir." 

Stepping into his bathroom, A.J. nudged the door almost-closed, then tugged off his pants and shirt. He then put on the black dress slacks and white button-down shirt Jade had given him, before looking in the mirror. 

Okay, he was right to make me change. 

"Let me see." Jade said from just beyond the door. 

Having no reason to decline, A.J. opened it, dropping his eyes to Jade's shoes as he waited for him to comment. There was silence for a long moment as Jade walked around him in two slow circles, then stopped in front of him again. 

"Perfect. Now you look like you're ready to get that job." 

Peaking up at the man, A.J. felt his heart stutter in his chest. Jade grinned down at him before reaching over and tugging him into a strong hug. A.J. rested his cheek against Jade's chest, but kept his hands firmly at his sides. 

"Hey..." 

When Jade didn't elaborate, A.J. glanced up, curious. 

"You. Uh, you can hug me back, if you want. I... my rules. Maybe I can bend them a little outside of my home." 

 Hesitantly, A.J. slowly allowed his arms to wrap around Jade's torso. When the man gave him a gentle squeeze closer, A.J. found himself smiling as he nuzzled against the man's shirt. 

"Ready to go get that job?" Jade asked after a moment of silence. 

Taking a deep breath, A.J. stepped back and nodded, determination in his voice. "Yes sir, I am." 

"Good. Let's get the heck out of here, then. You have a job interview to crush," Jade said with a chuckle as he put one hand on A.J.'s shoulder and guided him from the room. A.J. grinned at Jade's words, but then realized that he intended to do just that. He would crush the silly interview and with that job, finally begin to see some security in his life, and in himself.