Chapter 3

Chapter 3     March 22nd, 2011

Ashley texted JJ the following Monday asking if she found meeting in Ashley’s treehouse around 11 am that Tuesday acceptable. Despite herself JJ couldn’t help grinning at the thought of sitting up there with Ashley. That treehouse was a place with good memories, first conversations and shy kisses.

JJ agreed to be there, then filled her day with work on the roof. Over the weekend she’d gotten up there and realized the whole thing needed to be re-shingled, the shingles that were left either beginning to fall apart, or barely hanging on. This led to JJ tearing everything up, then going back to Home Depot for a crash course in laying roof shingle.
She put those lessons to good use Monday, finding a good rhythm and finishing a little more than half the roof. She finished early and after another satisfying meal at Al’s diner, went home to get some much needed sleep.

JJ rang the bell the following morning right at 11. She had spent the morning puttering about the motel room, not wanting to start working on the roof, then pause to come over to the Turner’s. She stuffed her hands into the pockets of her leather jacket and looked down at herself, still unsure about not giving into the desire to dress to impress Ashley. Her jeans were clean, but there was a hole in one knee and her tee shirt had seen better days. Its picture was faded so badly JJ couldn’t even remember what it had been. She’d decided the leather jacket was necessary when she’d stepped outside for her first cigarette and the cold air had whipped right through her hoodie.
The door opened, putting an end to JJ’s wardrobe concerns. Ashley was wearing baggy sweats and a sweater with small holes along the neckline. “Hey, right on time. C’mon in.”

JJ stepped into the house, overwhelmed briefly by a sense of déjà vu. Not much had changed. While the electronics were modern and there were new pictures on the walls, the couches were the same, arranged as JJ remembered. The house smelled the same too, warm and like something homemade. Following Ashley into the kitchen JJ found the source of the smells. Cookies were cooling on wire racks, covering half the island.

“Do you want something to drink?” Ashley asked, continuing to fill a glass of milk. She looked up at JJ when she screwed the lid back on the jug.

“Well I’d really like a beer, but you’d wanted to do this sober. Which is a good idea. So, just water.” JJ cleared her throat and flexed her shoulders nervously.

“We have soda and juice too.” Ashley offered, opening the fridge.

“Water’ll be fine.” JJ stepped up to the island, peering down at the cookies. “Did you make these?”

“Yeah. One of the guy’s Mom works with, his wife is having a baby shower. These are for that, later today. They invited everyone in the floral department. I guess it is a pot-luck style thing.” Ashley explained, pouring cold water from a jug in the fridge into a tall glass for JJ.

JJ gladly accepted the water, her throat already feeling dry. She wasn’t sure why she felt so nervous, her belly filled with hyper butterflies. She gulped some water, then set the cup down again. “So, you ready to do this?”

Ashley looked over, her eyes sliding along the rim of her glass. She finished drinking and lowered the cup, a thin milk mustache left behind. “I am. Are you okay?”

“Yeah.” JJ lied, her gaze following the pink flash of Ashley’s tongue as it swept the milk from her upper lip.

“Okay, just let me get a few things.” Ashley turned and dug through a cupboard to find a Tupperware container, which she filled with cookies that were sitting off to the side of the rest. This she handed to JJ before picking up two thermoses from the back counter. “C’mon.”