Swan Attack!

That all happened more than a week ago. Astelle kept to her word. She never bothered us again.

Bella was disappointed because I didn't spend I day with her like I promised.

"I'm sorry, Bella." I said this afternoon. "I'm just too busy."

Bella looked at the ground. "But you promised. A week ago. And I keep asking. Am I ever gonna get to spend a day with my sister?"

I felt so sorry for her. 

"(Your name)?" Bella asked. "Uh.. you do realise it's 2017, right?"

I nodded. "If your going to ask about Corl's New Years party, it was cancelled."

"Why?" Bella persisted.

"Corl is gone to Mexico." I told her. 

Bella looked eagerly at me. "I have an idea." I turned around and looked at her in surprise.

"What? I told you, I'm spending the day with Denis." I remind her.

"Well, I'm coming with you." Bella looked at me.

I froze.

"Weell." I had to think. What would Denis think? I was thinking too hard, I didn't feel my phone slip out of my pocket.

"Hello? Denis? Yah, it's me Bella. So, (your name) says we should go camping.. yeah all of us. Great! See you!" Bella hangs up the phone.

I shoot her a glare. "What did you do that for?"

"Ok, I know you have to talk to Denis but this is a chance we may lose in the future! Besides, you promised." Bella said folding her arms.

I suppose she did have a point.

"I'll get the tent, the food and the sleeping bags. You get the torches and whatever else you think we need." Bella called over her shoulders.

I jumped up to look for the torches. After all what could go wrong?

The answer was: A lot.

*                                                              *

Bella and I had everything ready and we got permission from Mum and Dad.

Then my phone vibrated.

"Huh. He must be really excited." I thought and texted back.

"So. Where are we going to camp? I asked Bella as we stepped out the door.

"The woods. Near that wall where you fell on your butt." Bella laughed.

I gulped. The woods wasn't the safest option. For all I knew, the big bad wolf could be there, ready to blow down our tent.

"Sounds great." I stammered, ignoring the funny look Bella gave me.

We talked about the fun time we were going to have as we hauled our bags up the hill that led to the woods. As we got closer, Bella spoke less and less. Then she stopped walking, so I nearly barged into her.

"We're here." Bella announced.

I looked around. Trees were all around us but they weren't normal green trees. They had no leaves due to the weather and the sky had gone dark. I looked behind me to see if I could spot our house or the beach but there was no point, as all I could see was trees and darkness.

"This place gives me the creeps." Bella stated. She turned and studied my face. "You can't act all brave, (your name). You gotta admit that this place is scary, right?"

I raised my chin. "If you think it's so scary, then why the heck would you choose this place?"

"I wanted to scare you." Bella retorts and starts opening the bag that she carried. Then she raises her head. "Stream?" 

"Huh?"

"There's a stream, (your name). Behind you." Bella points.

I turn around. "There's a swan as well."

"Ooh so pretty!" Bella said, running towards the stream.

We had only lived in Canada for one month in total. About two weeks ago we moved to British Columbia and we had never seen a swan in all the time we lived in Canada.

Foolish me, I didn't know that swans fight back in Canada.

"Yes! Pretty!" I said running after Bella. 

"Hello, Ms. Swan. You look pretty!" Bella says, reaching out to touch the swan. Then something else catches her eye: an egg.

"Bella! Grab that egg!" I shout. "Let me take a picture."

Very, very foolish.

Bella nods and very slowly, she creeps closer to the egg. Then when the swan wasn't looking, she snatched the egg.

"Stand by that tree." I command. "The swan won't come out of the water."

Bella rushed to the tree and smiled a great big smile. I snapped a picture of her.

"I've held an egg!" Bella screams.

The swans head jerks in our direction. Then the swan sees the egg, flaps out of the water, and darts after Bella. Bella is too busy admiring the egg so she doesn't see the swan until it pecks her.

"OW!"

You should never take something that isn't yours unless you ask. Otherwise it will come back to bite you.

Or, should I say, peck you.

"Bella, run!" I scream. And drop the egg!

Bella runs down the hill and I follow her. I feel a peck on my leg and tumble over.

"Bella!" I call. "Drop the egg!"

She flings it behind her and I reach out and catch it. I place it and the ground and dash after Bella. After a few minutes of running, we look behind us. No swan.

I bend over and take a few breaths.

"That was close." I sigh.

"Um. (Your name)? I think we have a bigger problem now." Bella squeaked.

"What?" I asked, my heart hammering.

"We're lost."