Bright as Day

Author credit to Zoe. I'm just posting this for her. Please review! That's why she asked me to post these :) thank you!

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. CHARACTERS DO NOT BELONG TO ZOE OR ME. THEY BELONG TO J.K. ROWLING AND ONLY J.K. ROWLING. DO NOT STEAL THIS KAY. Oh and that pretty cover on the right is by pondsrose on devianart.

____________________________________________________________

A freaking flying motorbike.

Those boys never know when to quit, don't they? Matching T-shirts. Fist bumps. They treat this war like a game of Risk.

But it makes her (for one, full delighted minute) laugh as they stare in admiration at their creation, leather jacket and pyjama bottom clad, tall, six feet-ish tall boys whom have each claimed a place in her heart.

"Stupid," she laughs, shaking her head, "Ridiculous." 

"Ah, you know you love us," the teasing reply comes.

Honestly, her red hair stands out in the dark starry night, as bright as fire, her vivacious spark as warm as flame.

He's in love with her because of those qualities. (And many more he fails to mention.)

They watch as the motorbike revs up, and shoots up into the sky, igniting the night sky with streak light, like a falling star of flame across paper. It makes them remember, shakes them out of their reverie.

They're only so young yet they seem so old. This war, it's made everything as night as dark, and there are some days where they're scared they won't return home. 

(When will you be leaving?) 

She can't face an empty house, so she wraps her arms around him instead.

(Day after tomorrow.) 

He senses the lingering question in her eyes, green and vivid and bright. He wants them to be the last thing he looks at, he realizes, if he dies.

And they trudge on to the next chapter of their weary, war ridden lives, offering condolences and tears, clenched jaws and raised fists. 

She thought she was sick of fighting but it's worse not knowing about what's happening in this twisted world. Her mind, oh, it's going mad.

He thought he knew his friends, but it's worse when secrets are spilled and doors are slammed. His senses, oh, they're unweaving.

So one night they look out the window and a star whizzes by.

(Make a wish, papa!)

His son cooes, and he doesn't hear the click of the gate opening, doesn't feel the protection wavering-

The door is blasted open and unsaid exchanges of goodbyes and 'I love you's hang in the air and he straightens his back, defiant, and looks up at the stars littering the night sky.

And oh my word, they are as bright as day.